Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

suggestions for high-end laptop for CAD workstation - HP, Dell, Lenovo?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steve_7777

steve_7777

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

Looking for portable laptop that will serve as my primary workstation for Cad tools. Was looking at Dell, Lenovo, msi and hp (leaning more Dell and lonovo).

Anyhow need the following:

4k display 
32G ram
512G ssd
1T+ second drive
I7 (latest Gen)
Thunderbolt port

Either 15 or 17 monitor 
(leaning to 15 as my Thunderbolt will connect to dual 28" 4k displays at home (dock station) 

somehting that at least has 5 hours on battery (perferably more )

here are a few examples:

HP Zbook 17.3" G4 IPS FHD Mobile Workstation, Intel Quad-Core i7-7820HQ

Dell Precision 7720 Mobile Workstation i7-7920HQ 

lenovo ThinkPad P51 Mobile Workstation i7-7820HQ

Anyhow which brand and or laptop best?
my old rig is a MSI gaming rig that i use for CAD but it eats power like its going out of style, maybe 1h on battery

looking for some feedback for a system can use on the go or at home for electrical engineering EDA/CAD work, any thoughts would be appreciated
More about : portable workstation eda cad

i have seen reliability issues with HP zbook g3 - so looking more at lonovo and dell but im really just looking for feedback which one is better quality and last longer for the $ spent

my budget is a system under $2800 or so

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:35 PM

I've only supported HP and Dell business machines, so I don't know anything about the Lenovo brand.

Both the HP and Dell machines you have listed should come with a three year warranty.  If you're going to have any issues they will normally occur during that time.

Going with a 15" screen should give you better battery life than a 17" screen.

What CAD software are you using?  I'd recommend checking on what they recommend for computer specifications and go from there.  I know you can run AutoCAD on almost anything, but SolidWorks is very picky about video cards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users