Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu corruption: "Tile database is corrupt"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oxonsi

Oxonsi

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

I recently noticed that at the bottom of my Start Menu there is a category "Other" and one item under that category listed as "ms-resource:appDisplayName". When I click on it, it opens a page in Windows Store where I can check for app updates. This seemed odd, so I downloaded and executed Microsoft's Start Menu troubleshooter. It came back with "tile database is corrupt" and "not fixed".

So I then researched and attempted some manual fixes on the tile database, but no success.

1) I created a new user account, and then copying and replacing the corrupted database with a clean database from the newly created user account. For whatever reasons, that did not change anything.

2) I successfully executed Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. And sfc /scannow reports no integrity violations.

I do not have any other problems with the Start Menu, so I think I can live with it as-is.  But if there is a relatively easy way to repair it, I'd like to try.

I understand I could do a reset of my Windows 10 install, but that seems like more trouble than it is worth to correct this relatively minor issue.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:33 PM

If your new user account Start Menu works fine go here in the registry, and export this key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CloudStore\Store\Cache\DefaultAccount

Also in 

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

copy the DefaultLayouts.xml 

Make sure you can access these from you userprofile with the corrupted start menu.

Sign into the corrupted start menu user profile, and delete the above mentioned registry key, then import your exported file.  Now copy the DefaultLayouts.xml to %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

and restart your computer.

#3 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Actually it seems the new user account Start Menu also suffers from tile database corruption.  I don't see "ms-resource:appDisplayName" in that menu, but when I run the Microsoft Start Menu troubleshooter from that account it reports the same "tile database is corrupt" and "not fixed".

And that probably explains why when I followed the procedure you suggested, my start menu was not fixed.

Can anyone upload copies of the clean registry key and DefaultLayouts.xml file?   :wink: 

#4 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:17 AM

It is 3:15 a.m. here.  If no one has uploaded the default key, and xml, I will do so.  But, I am going to get some sleep first.  I will install a fresh copy in hyper-v, and get the files that way.

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

Here you go!

Attached Files

Edited by dhagerjohns, 03 June 2018 - 10:40 AM.

#6 Oxonsi

Oxonsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:54 PM

Awesome, thanks so much for your help!

#7 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:55 PM

Awesome, thanks so much for your help!

If that doesn't work you are on your own.  Perhaps a re-install.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users