Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator privileges not working?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ArianaDream

ArianaDream

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

Hello all,

I am using an Asus laptop running Windows 10, and I realized that I cannot open Task Manager. Several other services will not run either, such as msconfig and regedit. I get a message when I try saying that Windows cannot find the file. I've tried running AVG, which doesn't detect any problems, and I've tried downloading a few other tools such as ADW Cleaner, but I get the same error when trying to run the install files. I did find one malware protection program that worked, and I did a complete hard drive scan that turned up a few possible problems, but there was an error when trying to fix them.

I've tried a number of possible solutions suggested to people with similar problems, but all failed for one reason or another. I've tried creating a different profile, but the "sign in options" window freezes when I try. I've tried rebooting in safe mode, but when it asks for my PIN it won't accept it. (It will when restarting in normal mode.) I can easily use my regular programs such as Chrome and Open Office, but anything having to do with system changes doesn't seem to work.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

~Ariana

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

Do you still require assistance?

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#3 ArianaDream

ArianaDream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:32 PM

Yes, if anyone is able to help!

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

So, are you running as a standard account or an Administrator account?

If running as a standard account you will need to search and then right click the result you want and select run as Administrator.

#5 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

Okay, I would recommend trying a repair install of Windows 10 as follows. It will not remove any programs or anything from your computer. Although it should not cause any issues I always recommend having a current image backup or at least a backup of your important files. Let me know if you have any questions.

Windows 10 Repair Install

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085?auth=1

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users