Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Lan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MyBonnie

MyBonnie

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:11 AM

Up until 10/08/06, I was able to disconnect the LAN by the Network Connections screen. Do this to keep computer on but not attached to Internet periodically throughout day on my personal computer (sits beside work computer). I can no longer do this. Get the following message: "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account." I am the only one who uses this computer 99.9% of the time. I am system administrator, and have my own personal log-in script with one user available in case a family member needs to use my computer while visiting. Any suggestions as to where I can start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

Hi MyBonnie. Try this:

Start > Run > type gpedit.msc > click OK

In the left hand column, navigate to:

User Configuration > Administrative Template > Network > Network Connection

Now in the right hand panel you should see:

Abilty to Enable/Disable LAN connection

Right Click on this and choose Enable.

You may need to reboot for this change to take effect.

Let us know if this worked or not. If not, tell us if you are having any other problems with your computer, such as popups, etc.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:28 AM

You might want to try monitoring the connection to see what's keeping it "alive". Here's a nifty tool that I just found (but haven't tried): http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/

Oh, and here's another: http://www.foundstone.com/resources/proddesc/vision.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 MyBonnie

MyBonnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

I probably should have mentioned - apologize - I only have XP Home on my Dell XPS. My work computer has XP Pro. So the gpedit.msc does not exist on my home computer. Your inquiry as to if there are other things happening - yes, I believe so, but am trying not to get paranoid about it. Trying to do "baby steps" instead of canyon leaps.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:12 AM

Your inquiry as to if there are other things happening - yes, I believe so, but am trying not to get paranoid about it. Trying to do "baby steps" instead of canyon leaps.

Yes, I understand, but having malicious software on your computer will interfere with your internet connection, therefore it appears to me that the two are related.

Would you like to pursue the cleaning of your computer, or at least check out whether or not you are infected with something causing this issue?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 MyBonnie

MyBonnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:16 AM

Yes, definitely! Where do I start?

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:25 AM

If you are having buggy behavior from your computer, and if you are having internet connectivity issues, then you may be in stage 3 of an infection. As I see it there are 4 stages of infection:
  • Buggy behavior, such as popups.
  • Computer runs slower than it used to, takes longer to start up, etc.
  • Connectivity problems.
  • Computer won't boot at all.
Of course I could be wrong, because I have very little information regarding your computer, however, with the info I do have I think this might be a good course of action to take:

I would like to refer you to the HiJack This (HJT) forum here at BleepingComputer.com:

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within. (There are many important steps in this guide that may clean your computer.)

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait. It can sometimes take a few days for a response. If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

Third: If, after finishing your work with the folks at the HJT forum you have issues with Windows related to the removal of the infection, then come to the other forums and let us help you get your computer back to normal.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 MyBonnie

MyBonnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:38 AM

Thank you so much for your fast assistance. There really are humans at the end of these forums! I have a starting point now, so maybe there will be some light at the end of my computer trouble tunnel.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

You are welcome, MyBonnie. We are glad to help. I will keep an eye on you and see how this comes out for you!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users