Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Word 2016. Having Issues Saving Documents

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maximumrock

maximumrock

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

I have a user here who was just issued a new laptop a couple months ago. It is a Dell has Windows 7. 16GB of RAM and is an I5 Processor.

Just recently, she has been saving her data on her laptop and it takes forever to save and a lot of times, the directory where she is attempting to save the document too, it creates a ~WRD0001.tmp file and then bounces back to where it prompts the SAVE AS dialog box and/or she gets an error from Microsoft Word saying " A File Error Has Occured" then had file location and name in parenthesis...

I watched her reproduce this error.. and for example, she just copied some data from an email .. maybe 4 lines, and i think it may have included a PDF attachment.. BUT if i Save it as a old style .DOC instead of a DOCX.. it works..

Any idea what is going on with this or how to resolve it?

Thx,

Max.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

A repair?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

#3 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:37 AM

Thx.. I gave that a shot.. No luck.. Here is some more info on this issue as more people are having this problem

What's happening is this. When a user goes to save the file after completing their work. The hour glass comes up while its trying to save.. Eventually it stops (maybe 20-25 seconds) and then the SAVE AS screen pops back up again. At that point, they get an error message from Microsoft Word that says "A file error has occoured. (C:\users\usersaccountname\filename.docx) ... At the same time, in the directory where the file has been already saving to (or trying to save it to, it creates a TMP file such as ~WRD0000.tmp or ~WRD0001.tmp. This is happening a lot. I have seen the issue myself. Now, if i go to SAVE AS and save the file as a .DOC file instead of the now standard .DOCX file, it saves without any issues.

This happens even when creating a new file with just a single word in the file.

I have tried running office 2016 repair on one of the workstations having the issue.. It happens on other profiles on the same computer. This causing people to lose their work. Some of the other links from this site i have found where other users have had the same issue going back to almost a year ago. There has to be a fix for this by now i would think.. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling MS Office 2016. Same result

All computers here are running Windows 7 and have the latest windows update We run Forticlient as our antivirus/firewall and all computers have malwarebytes pro running as well.

any other ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

I assume you have seen this page from Microsoft. As you say it seems to be some kind of bug without a solution.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_other-mso_2007/cannot-save-docx-file-a-file-error-has-occurred/dc488e28-466b-45c0-8e93-756ae2e46c3e

Does the file save as a docx in safe mode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users