Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Cloning Software

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

I have a machine with a bad hard drive....however the machine is still running but very slow

whats the best free cloning software to copy the entire drive with OS over?

normally i would just backup files and documents, but the computer has some paid programs on it that can not simply be re-installed, such as microsoft office package

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2018 - 08:35 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harry_Baker

Harry_Baker

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

Hi Mikey11,

if this is for Windows then I would suggest using the trial version of Acronis true image. This software has always worked for me in the future.

If this is for a Mac then I suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner. Again, this has never let me know.

Now when you say that the hard drive is bad, are you certain that this is hardware related and not software related? If you clone the drive, any software related issues will also be ported over to the new hard drive.

If you have any further questions let me know :-)

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

Hi Mikey11,

if this is for Windows then I would suggest using the trial version of Acronis true image. This software has always worked for me in the future.

If this is for a Mac then I suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner. Again, this has never let me know.

Now when you say that the hard drive is bad, are you certain that this is hardware related and not software related? If you clone the drive, any software related issues will also be ported over to the new hard drive.

If you have any further questions let me know :-)

it is for windows 7 machine,

yes im sure....the drive has failed all 3 tests using the WD software (SMART, short, and extended)

its still running but very very slow

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:05 AM

If you are working with a WD drive or drives you are entitled to use the Acronis TrueImage WD Edition:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

If you are working with a WD drive or drives you are entitled to use the Acronis TrueImage WD Edition:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119

its actually a toshiba drive....but they dont have their own testing software....as far as i know

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

Check out this tutorial by BC Advisor James Litten. It uses ddrescue, a program that will attempt to read a bad sector multiple times. 

https://html5.litten.com/make-full-image-of-broken-raw-infected-or-encrypted-hard-drive-with-free-tools/

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 June 2018 - 03:13 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

Macrium Reflect (free edition) will make a complete image of your C: and system partition. When you replace the drive just re-image back on to the new drive and you are ready to go. I have done it many times. Just a thought: it's a big download and must be installed. Then you will need to burn an emergency boot CD. I hope your drive doesn't fail during the process.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

Macrium Reflect (free edition) will make a complete image of your C: and system partition. When you replace the drive just re-image back on to the new drive and you are ready to go. I have done it many times. Just a thought: it's a big download and must be installed. Then you will need to burn an emergency boot CD. I hope your drive doesn't fail during the process.

what do i do after i replace the drive?.....do i boot from the external backup that i make using this program?

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,747 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

Exactly. Make your image backup to an external drive. I use a docking station with an old HDD for backups, but whatever you have, even a flash drive if it's big enough. Mac.Reflect will message you to create an emergency disk the first time you use it (or you can also create one from the screen ("other tasks >create rescue media).

Making image: Opening screen, check the main HDD, and the "System Reserved".  Your backup drive should be visible, but make sure it is not checked. Top of screen, click Backup, and image selected disks. Next screen de-select Use Image ID As File Name, and type in the current date and OS name. Click Finish. Next screen, do the same; use the current date and OS name. Click OK.

When restoring, pop-in the Restore CD you made, and reboot the computer. M/Reflect will find your saved image, and rest is obvious.

Post back with any questions.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:31 PM

Exactly. Make your image backup to an external drive. I use a docking station with an old HDD for backups, but whatever you have, even a flash drive if it's big enough. Mac.Reflect will message you to create an emergency disk the first time you use it (or you can also create one from the screen ("other tasks >create rescue media).

Making image: Opening screen, check the main HDD, and the "System Reserved".  Your backup drive should be visible, but make sure it is not checked. Top of screen, click Backup, and image selected disks. Next screen de-select Use Image ID As File Name, and type in the current date and OS name. Click Finish. Next screen, do the same; use the current date and OS name. Click OK.

When restoring, pop-in the Restore CD you made, and reboot the computer. M/Reflect will find your saved image, and rest is obvious.

i am at the following screen.....im a bit confused what to select now?

do i select "clone this disk" that is under the drive specs?

there are a few options to the left also??....how do i select the target drive/external drive?

Attached Files

Edited by mikey11, 04 June 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#11 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:09 AM

thanks for the help and instructions.....i followed them exactly, however about 20 mins into the image it came up with an error and failed, i don't think it can read all the info off the corrupted drive

looks like i can just do a clean install

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:32 AM

Did you read through the material in the link posted by JohnC_21 that was written by James Litten with regard to cloning a failing drive?  There are utilities that will make concerted extra effort to try to grab "iffy" sectors.

If you don't want to have to purchase a new copy of MS-Office or use an alternate office suite it's worth the effort to try what Mr. Litten suggests.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#13 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:47 AM

Did you read through the material in the link posted by JohnC_21 that was written by James Litten with regard to cloning a failing drive?  There are utilities that will make concerted extra effort to try to grab "iffy" sectors.

If you don't want to have to purchase a new copy of MS-Office or use an alternate office suite it's worth the effort to try what Mr. Litten suggests.

thanks....i did see that and read it.....

im fixing this computer for a friend of a friend for pretty much pennies....i have already spent enough time on it, so im at the point of "F-it"

im just telling them the drive is too corrupted to read and they are losing everything

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

im fixing this computer for a friend of a friend for pretty much pennies....i have already spent enough time on it, so im at the point of "F-it"

im just telling them the drive is too corrupted to read and they are losing everything

Believe me, I know *that* feeling all too well.

At the same time there are cases where my own curiosity about whether I could achieve the desired end, with possibility of doing so again in the future "for commercial gain," outweighs the, "F- it!," feeling.

Just had a similar situation helping someone out remotely where I did it gratis because he consented to be my guinea pig for my first trial run of Quick Assist under Windows 10.  I have to say that I was very impressed with this built-in utility.  Puts the older equivalents of same to shame and is right up there with some of the commercial products I've used or seen used.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

If it's not too late, there are utilities that will scan for, grab, and save product key numbers, ?maybe even license numbers?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users