Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Entry in Programs and Features

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LIOTB

LIOTB

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:33 AM

Hello! And, thank you a head of time for all of your help!
QUESTION: How do I remove the duplicate entry for the program listed here (one on the top)? (See picture)
Attached File  Untitled.png   3.38KB   2 downloads

STORY: Installed one, then installed another newer version, thinking it would overwrite the old one. (I know, not thinking straight.) For some reason ended up with two entries. When I try uninstall the top one the error pops up: 'An installation support file could not be installed. Catastrophic failure.' The other entry uninstalls just fine, but leaves the top entry.
Attached File  Untitled1.png   5.15KB   0 downloads

ATTEMPTS: revo uninstall, CCleaner, bleepingcomputer forums/tutorials, standard uninstall. When I uninstall the program the top entry always remains.

MACHINE:
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Manufacturer    TOSHIBA
System Model    Satellite L775D
System SKU    PSK40U-07N00R
Processor    AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics, 1500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical
RAM   8.00 GB

Edited by LIOTB, 01 June 2018 - 09:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:10 AM

I believe this is a corrupt entry in the registry. You can remove it using CCleaner's Tools.

To uninstall, delete, or rename a program:

1. In CCleaner, click the Tools icon at left.
  2. In the Uninstall screen, select the name of the program you want to uninstall from the Programs to Remove list.
  3. Do one of the following:
  • Click Delete Entry to remove the program's uninstall entry, without uninstalling it. (This is recommended for advanced users only, for when a program has been removed but the uninstall entry remains.)

#3 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:28 AM

I believe this is a corrupt entry in the registry. You can remove it using CCleaner's Tools.

Thank you so much for your quick reply! My apologies, and I added it to my attempts, but I did use CCleaner already. It only had one listed there and it was the good install. The other entry is not listed.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:48 AM

Uninstall the program then open regedit and browse to the below key. Click on each entry and look for ArcSoft.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

If you do not find any Arcsoft entry then download Regscanner and do an Arcsoft search.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

#5 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Uninstall the program then open regedit and browse to the below key. Click on each entry and look for ArcSoft.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

If you do not find any Arcsoft entry then download Regscanner and do an Arcsoft search.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

Thank you JohnC,
I had done that before but I didn't hit me to uninstall and then look again. When I looked at that earlier today there was no entry for arcsoft. I will do as you suggest today and get back with you.

Thank you again.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:18 PM

See the below page. Arcsoft may be in the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/remove-program-from-add-remove/

#7 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:12 AM

See the below page. Arcsoft may be in the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/remove-program-from-add-remove/

Hello JohnC,

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to dig that out for me!

I did as you suggested to uninstall then do the revo. It turned out that this time both entries wouldn't uninstall and both gave the same error. So, I decided to give revo on last chance. This time I did the most aggressive option and it seemed to work, both entries were gone this time from the menu. It seemed to install properly and run correctly as well.

Also, thank you for the tool tip. I will download and use Regscanner from now on.

Thank you again for all the help!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:44 AM

Your Welcome, 

FYI, Revo Uninstaller PRO, which is free for 30 days has a trace function where you right click the exe file and select Revo Installer or something to that affect. It will log all changes. After the install the program is in Revo and can be uninstalled under the Traced Programs tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGLfV4DuIc

#9 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:14 PM

Your Welcome, 

FYI, Revo Uninstaller PRO, which is free for 30 days has a trace function where you right click the exe file and select Revo Installer or something to that affect. It will log all changes. After the install the program is in Revo and can be uninstalled under the Traced Programs tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGLfV4DuIc

Hello JohnC,

that was really the extra mile there, thank you!

I noticed the "install" option, and was wondering what the full implication was. That's actually really good to know and to consider for the future and for anyone reading this thread.

Again, thank you for all the help. You are a superhero.

#10 virtualking

virtualking

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:19 AM

You can use any registry cleaner or something like hijackthis for such a problem it will easily remove it

#11 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:31 AM

You can use any registry cleaner or something like hijackthis for such a problem it will easily remove it

Thank you for your help, Virtualking,

I had already tried a registry cleaner (ccleaner), and it didn't do the job. It took revo on the highest settings.

Thank you for your wanting to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users