Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black when a game enters full screen. Computer still runs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rocktobot_Tv

Rocktobot_Tv

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:22 AM

so i've been having a lot of trouble with my computer. Im mostly computer illiterate so bear with me. Windows wanted to update, i put it off for a couple days. It finally got me when i was out the door, so i decided to let it do its thing and i'll come back to it. I came back to a shut off computer, so i turned it on. It booted up into keyboard language settings, then windows troubleshooting area. it wasnt booting properly. i followed all propts as best i could, troubleshooting windows diagnostic tools etc. Nothing worked. i could not even go back to a previous windows save point, or earlier version. nothing was available. My brother, more technologically savy than me, tried a million things. nothing worked. we wound up wiping my hard drive, and reinstalling windows. everything seems to be in order except now i cant open most of my video games (through steam) properly. they open up into a windowed mode. when i try and go fullscreen my screen goes black. I can hear the game / skype, my computer is on and functioning, but for some reason i cant see anything. I've set my computer, monitor, and the games to the appropriate, and recommended resolutions to no avail. I have an Intel HD graphics 4400. also, when i changed my computer resolution via desktop to larger than the recommended, (1600 x 900) that same thing happened. Black. If i go lower than recommended, its fine. Ive also tried lowering the resolution in my game, doesnt seem to matter. Higher or llower, it goes black when i enter full screen . Im losing my mind and my brother and I have exhausted all options we're aware of.

Mod Edit :-  Duplicate of this topic, with no replies, deleted.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 June 2018 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:20 PM

Have you checked for GPU driver updates from Intel website?

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#3 Rocktobot_Tv

Rocktobot_Tv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

Have you checked for GPU driver updates from Intel website?

Yeah, all drivers should be up to date :/

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

I,would recommend following the guide below as next step.

Display Driver Uninstall Utility

Important: Pay attention to the warnings DDU gives you. If you end up hosing your system somehow, you're on your own -- They are not responsible for your goofs and will not help you fix it. Honestly this shouldn't ever be an issue but some of you folks run on pretty janky setups.

1. Download the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU for short)
2. Download the latest driver package from your GPU manufacturer. Be careful to select the correct model and operating system. Avoid beta driver packages unless you know what you're doing.
3. NVIDIA
4. AMD
5. Intel
6. Extract DDU and Run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe.
7. Follow the prompts to reboot into Safe Mode.
8. Once in Safe Mode, DDU will launch itself automatically and you can begin the driver removal process
9. Select the appropriate driver type
10. click the "Clean and restart" button
11.  After DDU is finished and you're back in normal Windows, things probably look pretty crappy! Install the GPU driver package you downloaded earlier.
12. Once the driver installation process is complete, reboot one last time.

Now you can test to see if the issue you were experiencing has been resolved.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/performing-a-clean-gpu-driver-installation.65/

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful of all staff and members

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#5 Rocktobot_Tv

Rocktobot_Tv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:03 AM

I,would recommend following the guide below as next step.

Display Driver Uninstall Utility

Important: Pay attention to the warnings DDU gives you. If you end up hosing your system somehow, you're on your own -- They are not responsible for your goofs and will not help you fix it. Honestly this shouldn't ever be an issue but some of you folks run on pretty janky setups.

1. Download the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU for short)
2. Download the latest driver package from your GPU manufacturer. Be careful to select the correct model and operating system. Avoid beta driver packages unless you know what you're doing.
3. NVIDIA
4. AMD
5. Intel
6. Extract DDU and Run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe.
7. Follow the prompts to reboot into Safe Mode.
8. Once in Safe Mode, DDU will launch itself automatically and you can begin the driver removal process
9. Select the appropriate driver type
10. click the "Clean and restart" button
11.  After DDU is finished and you're back in normal Windows, things probably look pretty crappy! Install the GPU driver package you downloaded earlier.
12. Once the driver installation process is complete, reboot one last time.

Now you can test to see if the issue you were experiencing has been resolved.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/performing-a-clean-gpu-driver-installation.65/

Just tries it. Nuthin. Same black screen :(

#6 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Step 1:
Speccy
Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
2. Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Step 2:
Download the enclosed Diag.zip file to your desktop
Uncompress the diag.zip file to your desktop
Right clink on diag.bat and select Run as Administrator
Once it is finished, it will create a SystemDiagnostics folder on your desktop
Compress the folder to a SystemDiagnostics.zip file
Upload to your reply

How to Compress/Uncompress .Zip files

The SystemDiagnostic Folder should contain the following files after running.
    1. Antivirus.txt
    2. ApplicationEventlog.txt
    3. Dxdiag.txt
    4. Msinfo32.nvo
    5. Software.txt
    6. SystemEventlog.txt
    7. SystemInfo.txt
    8. Any Minidumps files that Exist (*.dmp)

Step 3:
Run FurMark - GPU Stress Test
Please make note of the importance of temperature monitoring and aborting the test in the GPU link.
Aim for testing for 1 hour.
FurMark - GPU Stress Test Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials: 
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/13081-furmark-gpu-stress-test.html

Attached Files

• Attached File  Diag.zip   513bytes   2 downloads

Edited by dmccoyks, 19 June 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#7 Rocktobot_Tv

Rocktobot_Tv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:29 PM

Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Step 1:
Speccy
Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
2. Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Step 2:
Download the enclosed Diag.zip file to your desktop
Uncompress the diag.zip file to your desktop
Right clink on diag.bat and select Run as Administrator
Once it is finished, it will create a SystemDiagnostics folder on your desktop
Compress the folder to a SystemDiagnostics.zip file
Upload to your reply

How to Compress/Uncompress .Zip files

The SystemDiagnostic Folder should contain the following files after running.
    1. Antivirus.txt
    2. ApplicationEventlog.txt
    3. Dxdiag.txt
    4. Msinfo32.nvo
    5. Software.txt
    6. SystemEventlog.txt
    7. SystemInfo.txt
    8. Any Minidumps files that Exist (*.dmp)

Step 3:
Run FurMark - GPU Stress Test
Please make note of the importance of temperature monitoring and aborting the test in the GPU link.
Aim for testing for 1 hour.
FurMark - GPU Stress Test Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials: 
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/13081-furmark-gpu-stress-test.html

Thank you so much for your help, first off. 

Ok, so i followed your steps. attached should be the diag info. I also have the speccy link here ( http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0KYL4RxhL8I5IebkOs5OfOi ). I ran the stress test but it didnt seem to give me any sort of log or anything to reference or upload so im not sure if it was done right. I ran it for about an hour.

#8 Rocktobot_Tv

Rocktobot_Tv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:30 PM

pardon my ignorance lol but if i just reply like this, instead of quoting you, you get the response the same, huh? I'm used to reddit style forums where you reply to the individual comment. 

#9 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

Yes, you posted correctly. I will analyze your files and get back to you probably tom now.

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

I am not seeing the attached SystemDiagnostics.zip file?

#11 Rocktobot_Tv

Rocktobot_Tv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

I am not seeing the attached SystemDiagnostics.zip file?

i must have screwed it up. Here it is. 

Attached Files

#12 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 980 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:19 PM

I am not seeing an real issues that would cause your problem. Have you tested your PSU? Speccy is showing some strange voltages. Although it cannot be fully trusted. I recommend testing your PSU as shown in the video below.

Your Motherboard Voltages:
CPU CORE: 1.728 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.524 V
+3.3V: 2.040 V
+5V: 3.367 V
-5V: -11.904 V

Motherboard Voltage Rail Tolerance Minimum and Maximum Voltages:

+3.3VDC ± 5% +3.135 VDC +3.465 VDC

+5VDC ± 5% +4.750 VDC +5.250 VDC

+5VSB ± 5% +4.750 VDC +5.250 VDC

-5VDC (if used) ± 10% -4.500 VDC -5.500 VDC

+12VDC ± 5% +11.400 VDC +12.600 VDC

-12VDC ± 10% -10.800 VDC - 13.200 VDC

#13 Rocktobot_Tv

Rocktobot_Tv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:46 PM

ok so it seems to be my monitor. i was able to hook my computer up to my tv with no issues. I bought a new monitor and it seems to be working fine. I'm not sure what happened to the monitor, and i guess it messing up just coincided with the windows update. I'm sorry for the hassle, thank you so much for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users