Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move table column message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

I was creating a resume and added a table to my Word 2010 document. The document is fine but I get this residual message "Move Table Column" that persists on my screen no matter what program I'm in. I have no idea why I'm getting this fixed message i can't get off my screen and would like to remove it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,144 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

Try restarting your computer.

There are very rarely screen repaint issues where something just "sticks" for no apparent reason and will not go away.  It seems to get "stuck in the buffer" and only purging the buffer by shutting down works.

If this persists after a shutdown (and if you're using Windows 10 do a Restart if you have Fast Startup enabled) then something else is up.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:07 AM

Thanks, your fix worked. I guess sometimes code gets "stuck" in the system until a reboot.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,144 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

You're quite welcome.

I was once given "the rational explanation" for why something, typically a message but sometimes something else, just refuses to disappear from the screen but I've long ago forgotten all the details because it happens so seldom.  What I did remember is that it's virtually certain that only a shutdown/reboot cycle (and a real one, not the hybrid hibernation that is Fast Startup under Windows 8 & 10) will clear it.

Now you are another in the world who can pass along this seldom used piece of knowledge.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:19 AM

The thing that always troubles me with computer work is that you don't know what you don't know. A lot of fixes aren't intuitive and can't simply be "figured out." That's why it's great when others have already dealt with the issue can pass along their feedback. Thanks again.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

The thing that always troubles me with computer work is that you don't know what you don't know. A lot of fixes aren't intuitive and can't simply be "figured out." That's why it's great when others have already dealt with the issue can pass along their feedback. Thanks again.

Such is life!   You're quite welcome.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users