Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Cd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ponkadeedle

Ponkadeedle

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:47 AM

When I load my Windows CD it runs for a while and just stops.Nothing appears on the screen.Any ideas?Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:54 AM

Have you tried more than once and if so does it always freeze in the same place in the process?

What sort of problems were you having that led you to reload Windows in the first place?

Have you opened up your computer and blown out all of the dust? The computer could be overheating.

The CD could be scratched or defective.

Have you had XP on this computer before? The reason I ask is, if not, the computer's hardware may not be compatable with XP.

If you can give us more info, such as answer the above questions, and tell us the make and model of the computer, laptop or tower, at what point in the process does it freeze, etc, it may help us diagnose what is going wrong.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Ponkadeedle

Ponkadeedle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for that.I think the CD is the problem.This was supplied with a Carillon computer and has a small bump on the surface.Does this mean I've got to shell out for a new one?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

Well, you probably won't have to purchase Windows again. You could contact the manufacturer of your computer and see if they can sell you a new disk. This would be cheaper than buying Windows from a retailer, to be sure. Most manufacturers will sell you a disk for a reasonable fee, such as $35 USD.

Your computer should have a sticker on it with a product key from Microsoft. This is the important and valueable thing to own. Any identical disk will install Windows, but you will not be able to 'activate' it and actually use it without that set of numbers. So, if you already own that set of numbers, you can just get a replacement disk by contacting the computer manufacturer, or ebay, or borrow from a friend. But again, it must be an EXACT match to the version of Windows that the sticker goes to.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Ponkadeedle

Ponkadeedle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

Thanks.I'll try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users