Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 2000 Power Supply & slow Running?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

Hi,

I am trying to service a person's HP 2000 Laptop. I also have a HP Laptop of my own and I've noticed the same issue.

The power supply works spottedly? If you disconnect and reconnect the 3 way power cord a few times you might be able to get the power supply to stay on, the yellow light stays on and you have continuous power. Otherwise the yellow light starts on then quickly turns off meaning no power to the laptop.

I take it that this is common with HP power supplies? In any case I just want to find out if I can solve this by purchasing a new HP power supply for this laptop(s)?

Or is this hopeless with HPs as I've noticed with online repair persons saying that HP is the number one computer that comes through their shops.

Also, this person's HP is slower than molasses, I am going to recommend that she invest in a new non HP laptop.

But, like I said I also have a HP laptop (given to me) with the same issue, is there any salvage value in replacing the power supply?

Thanks,

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

unplugging and plugging back in a few times tells me that the capacitors in the power supply are bad.

replace the power supply, and don't use a generic, buy a genuine replacement.  if you go cheap, you'll just have issues.

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2018 - 02:58 PM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 03:05 PM

Hi mightywiz and thanks for the suggestion.

I found this on eBay and it seems to be an original Power Supply (this would be for my HP Elitebook 8560p that I own):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBook-8400-8500-8700-19V-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-OEM-Original-Charger/182101505463?hash=item2a661875b7:m:mfE1pmdo86w83315RYlwcMQ

I will be purchasing this one. However, I am not sure which wattage to choose? Since I cannot find the original power supply I am not certain which wattages to use? The eBay ad offers 90W, 120W and 230W? Which do I need, how to determine this?. Thanks.

I also found what you were talking about the replacement option, much cheaper but doesn't look as durable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-Battery-Charger-Power-Supply-For-HP-Elitebook-8460w-8460p-8470p-8560p/192442101874?hash=item2cce717072:g:2OgAAOSwAfpavICe

Edited by Johnz414, 02 June 2018 - 04:29 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

At the very least there should be a sticker on the back saying the likes of '20V @ 4.5A' (= 90W) or '19.5V @ 3A' (= ~ 60W). It may be in the battery space, it's amazing where these things get put !

You are perfectly safe with a power supply that offers the correct voltage but a greater amperage capacity, the laptop will not draw more current than it needs. However, using a power supply with a lower amperage rating than your laptop calls for risks overheating the power supply as the laptop tried to draw more current than it can supply. So -

Laptop says 20v @ 4A, PSU says 20V @ 4.5A = good.   Laptop says 20V @ 4a, PSU says 20V @ 3.5A = bad !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:47 PM

Under the battery on the HP Elite notebook  I found 18.5Vdc - 3.5A and just below this I found 19.0Vdc - 4.74A.

What I find is that 18.5Vdc at 3.5A should have a power supply of 65 Watts but a 19.0Vdc at 4.74A should have a 90 Watt power supply.

So, not quit sure which supply I should get?

I did find somewhere, but cannot find again that a duo core only needs a 65 Watt supply.(If memory serves me right?

The CPU is an i5 Sandy Bridge 2 Core 2.5GHz. So far then everything seems to indicate I need a 65 Watt power supply.

On the battery I find 11.1V, 8550mAh. In another location I find 11.1V - 100Wh(?).

Anyone have more input for this?

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:48 AM

Oh dear !  Nothing like accurate labelling is there ?

I would go with the 90W version. As I said in #4, if the laptop only needs 65W that is all it will draw and the charging unit will run welll inside its limits. But if the laptop requires 90W and you try to run it from a 65W supply you are trying to draw more current than the unit can supply and you are risking over-heating and shortening its life.

And I wouldn't worry about the labelling on the battery itself, I think a decimal point has got missed out on the second value.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 23 June 2018 - 03:52 AM.

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Great Chris,

It is settled then, the 90 Watt will do, I'll be getting right now, thanks for your input, it helped a lot!

John

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users