Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to change date format from mm/dd/yy to 20yymmdd?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

Is there a search and replace string or other mechanism that will let me search for instances of dates in the mm/dd/yy format and change them to 20yymmdd? I know that all of the dates are after 1/1/2000.

I am using Word 2007 on Win XP.

Thanks

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 31 May 2018 - 05:04 PM.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:17 PM

Yes, Word 2007 has a Find and Replace feature that allows you to use wildcards in both the Find and the Replace.  You will need to use wildcards, with capture, for both the Find and Replace.

Take your pick of tutorial:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Word+2007+find+replace+wildcards&t=h_&atb=v91-1&ia=web

This should be very easy if you know that your original dates are all in a consistent format, or even if the months and days can be either one or two characters.

It is beyond the scope of my answer to get into how to use wildcards and capture operations in MS-Word.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:26 PM

See also this thread, FInd and Replace option!, in this very forum from late 2015 where I and another member discuss the use of Find & Replace functionality with wildcards at length.  I even give an example of a capture string employing wildcards that you can probably alter for your purposes.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

See also this thread, FInd and Replace option!, in this very forum from late 2015 where I and another member discuss the use of Find & Replace functionality with wildcards at length.  I even give an example of a capture string employing wildcards that you can probably alter for your purposes.

Perfect. Thank you.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users