Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking red power light on Asus when sleeping

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AspiringSomeone

AspiringSomeone

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

I'm using an older ASUS M32 Series which is about 5 years old as a sort of server for files and printing on my home network. I took the computer apart a few weeks ago before I set it up as such, just out of curiosity to learn more about the components. I put everything back into place but I'm worried that I screwed something up with the thermal paste on the heat sink/cooling unit, above the CPU. I moved it around, taking some off, and the rest looked somewhat dried after leaving it out in the open for a while before re-assembling it.

I ask about this because I notice when my computer goes to sleep, the main circular LED light for the power on the case blinks red. When the computer is active, it's a normal white solid color there.

I tried downloading that Asus Probe II to figure out what the problem may be but it seems outdated and no longer supported, and I've had trouble doing a clean install of it. I then got into the BIOS on restart and it said the core temperature was like 109 degrees fahrenheit for the CPU, and somewhat lower for the motherboard itself. I then installed the CoreTemp program to verify this and it's giving me lower temperatures, around 30-32 celsius or in the upper 80s fahrenheit. Either way, I'm a bit worried about this.

Is it a safe bet that the problem is linked to an overheating CPU, and I should get some new paste to replace the old with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

CPU temperatures in the range 30 - 32C for a computer that is idling is perfectly reasonable. Your BIOS is showing a temperature about 42C which is warmer but nowhere near dangerous and, from what I have seen, no two temperature sensors ever show identical temperatures.

However you yourself have a question about how well you applied thermal paste. The first essential is that both surfaces have to be as clean as possible. I usually finish off with a wipe with iso-propyl alchohol to make sure the surfaces are clean and grease free. Then apply a small blob of compound to one face. How big is a small blob ?  No more than a small pea is usually sufficient. Some say it is then sufficient to clamp the two surfaces together, I prefer to smear the compound thinly and as evenly as possible over the whole surface then clamp them together. In either case any excess will usually be squeezed out around the edges. Whichever way you prefer to go this will give you peace of mind about the thermal paste anyway.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:12 PM

I can't speak to the specifics of "red" versus any other color, but most computers I have any acquaintance with blink one of their indicator LEDs to indicate they're in a sleep state.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 AspiringSomeone

AspiringSomeone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

Ah, ok thanks. The thing is the computer used to be my mom's back home and I never used to looked at it in detail. I asked her if she recalled seeing a red light on the power button when it was sleeping and she said no. I do know it's normal for the light to blink when sleeping or hibernating.

Either way I think it's not a bad idea for me to get more paste for it, even if it may not be the cause of the problem.

I'll keep trying to figure it out and search the web for any more possible answers. I suppose it could be a variety of other small things from when I messed with it, like the memory, or other connections not sitting quite tight on the motherboard.

Edited by AspiringSomeone, 01 June 2018 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users