Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking Screenshots under Win10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

Other than the fact that the .png format is the default, I quite liked the new WinKey+PrtSc "take and save a screen shot in the Pictures\Screenshots folder" functionality.

When I last tried to take a "window shot," which one used to do (and still can, but without automatic saving with ALT+PrtSc) using WinKey+ALT+PrtSc it did not work at all.  This morning I thought I'd try again to see if that functionality has been added, and it appears it has, but when I use it I get a message from Xbox Gaming Overlay and the resultant screenshot is saved in the Videos\Captures folder.  I am just wondering what happens for others if they use the WinKey+Alt+PrtSc function when focus is on a non-maximized window or a dialog box.

All of the above is under Win10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1803, Build 17134.81

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 plat1098

plat1098

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Hello, I'm glad to see this topic as I'd previously had to resort to Paint 3D and clicking "paste" in order to save a full screenshot.  Also have Windows version 17134.81 (1803) and all that's needed here is Windows key + PrtScrn and it's saved to Pictures/Screenshots like you'd initially described.  The Alt key is not required.  Nice!  BUT, XBox is disabled on here too.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

plat1098,

The WinKey+PrtSc feature to take a literal, full-screen screenshot has been part of Windows 10 since day one.  My "problem" (for some value of problem, and definitely small) is that I almost never want a full-screen screenshot but rather one on the window/dialog that has focus only.   That was, and still can be, achieved via ALT+PrtSc, but in earlier versions of Windows 10 WinKey+ALT+PrtSc did not do the corresponding thing; in fact, it did nothing.

I tested again a bit later this morning on my Win10 Pro 32-bit system that's also Version 1803.  It behaves in precisely the same way.  WinKey+PrtSc does a very brief "screen flash" to let you know the snapshot has been taken and placed in the Pictures\Screenshots folder.  WinKey+ALT+PrtSc exhibits a slight delay with nothing seeming to happen, then a notification sliding out from the bottom right from Xbox Gaming Overlay saying the capture is in Videos\Captures and, surely enough, a .png file of the window/dialog that had focus is there.

What I don't get is why they don't both end up in Pictures\Screenshots, but I'm still glad to be able to take a windowed screenshot and not having to involve Paint (I never use Paint3D, even on Win10).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,007 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

By the way, I just tried WinKey+ALT+PrtSc on one of my machines that's still running Version 1709 and I'm still getting the whole lotta nothin' that I always did.  This feature via Xbox Game Overlay must be an introduction in Version 1803.

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:35 PM

Seriously???

Windows 10 is just letting you do that?

I've been using the prntscrn key on my keyboard for screen shots since Windows XP and it still works on Windows 7 too, When did they kill and re-birth that option for Windows 10?

In XP Vista and Windows 7 you do not need to use the WinKey, just tap the prntscrn key on your keyboard and paste in irfanview to edit. I do not know if that can be done with Windows 8-8.1

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:46 PM

Seriously???

Windows 10 is just letting you do that?

I've been using the prntscrn key on my keyboard for screen shots since Windows XP and it still works on Windows 7 too, When did they kill and re-birth that option for Windows 10?

In XP Vista and Windows 7 you do not need to use the WinKey, just tap the prntscrn key on your keyboard and paste in irfanview to edit. I do not know if that can be done with Windows 8-8.1

I think Brian was pointing out that Windows 10 can save the screenshot to the pictures folder as a png file using WinKey+PrtSc without the need to paste into image software.

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

I think Brian was pointing out that Windows 10 can save the screenshot to the pictures folder as a png file using WinKey+PrtSc without the need to paste into image software.

Thank you,  JohnC_21

I did not realize that

#8 zeekstern

zeekstern

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

What I don't get is why they don't both end up in Pictures\Screenshots, but I'm still glad to be able to take a windowed screenshot and not having to involve Paint (I never use Paint3D, even on Win10).

Just because it's Microsoft would be my guess :unsure: You can change the location yourself by just going to c:\users\YourName\, then RightClick on Videos and select Properties. Go to the Location tab and change it there. 

I personally use the Snipping Tool since I almost never want a full screen shot. That way I can save anywhere I want to and can also paste it into a Word doc or any other application if needed.

Zeek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users