Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking Screenshots under Win10

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

Other than the fact that the .png format is the default, I quite liked the new WinKey+PrtSc "take and save a screen shot in the Pictures\Screenshots folder" functionality.

When I last tried to take a "window shot," which one used to do (and still can, but without automatic saving with ALT+PrtSc) using WinKey+ALT+PrtSc it did not work at all.  This morning I thought I'd try again to see if that functionality has been added, and it appears it has, but when I use it I get a message from Xbox Gaming Overlay and the resultant screenshot is saved in the Videos\Captures folder.  I am just wondering what happens for others if they use the WinKey+Alt+PrtSc function when focus is on a non-maximized window or a dialog box.

All of the above is under Win10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1803, Build 17134.81

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 plat1098

plat1098

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Hello, I'm glad to see this topic as I'd previously had to resort to Paint 3D and clicking "paste" in order to save a full screenshot.  Also have Windows version 17134.81 (1803) and all that's needed here is Windows key + PrtScrn and it's saved to Pictures/Screenshots like you'd initially described.  The Alt key is not required.  Nice!  BUT, XBox is disabled on here too.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

plat1098,

The WinKey+PrtSc feature to take a literal, full-screen screenshot has been part of Windows 10 since day one.  My "problem" (for some value of problem, and definitely small) is that I almost never want a full-screen screenshot but rather one on the window/dialog that has focus only.   That was, and still can be, achieved via ALT+PrtSc, but in earlier versions of Windows 10 WinKey+ALT+PrtSc did not do the corresponding thing; in fact, it did nothing.

I tested again a bit later this morning on my Win10 Pro 32-bit system that's also Version 1803.  It behaves in precisely the same way.  WinKey+PrtSc does a very brief "screen flash" to let you know the snapshot has been taken and placed in the Pictures\Screenshots folder.  WinKey+ALT+PrtSc exhibits a slight delay with nothing seeming to happen, then a notification sliding out from the bottom right from Xbox Gaming Overlay saying the capture is in Videos\Captures and, surely enough, a .png file of the window/dialog that had focus is there.

What I don't get is why they don't both end up in Pictures\Screenshots, but I'm still glad to be able to take a windowed screenshot and not having to involve Paint (I never use Paint3D, even on Win10).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

By the way, I just tried WinKey+ALT+PrtSc on one of my machines that's still running Version 1709 and I'm still getting the whole lotta nothin' that I always did.  This feature via Xbox Game Overlay must be an introduction in Version 1803.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:35 PM

Seriously???

Windows 10 is just letting you do that?

I've been using the prntscrn key on my keyboard for screen shots since Windows XP and it still works on Windows 7 too, When did they kill and re-birth that option for Windows 10?

In XP Vista and Windows 7 you do not need to use the WinKey, just tap the prntscrn key on your keyboard and paste in irfanview to edit. I do not know if that can be done with Windows 8-8.1

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:46 PM

Seriously???

Windows 10 is just letting you do that?

I've been using the prntscrn key on my keyboard for screen shots since Windows XP and it still works on Windows 7 too, When did they kill and re-birth that option for Windows 10?

In XP Vista and Windows 7 you do not need to use the WinKey, just tap the prntscrn key on your keyboard and paste in irfanview to edit. I do not know if that can be done with Windows 8-8.1

I think Brian was pointing out that Windows 10 can save the screenshot to the pictures folder as a png file using WinKey+PrtSc without the need to paste into image software.

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:05 PM

I think Brian was pointing out that Windows 10 can save the screenshot to the pictures folder as a png file using WinKey+PrtSc without the need to paste into image software.

Thank you,  JohnC_21

I did not realize that

#8 zeekstern

zeekstern

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:47 AM

What I don't get is why they don't both end up in Pictures\Screenshots, but I'm still glad to be able to take a windowed screenshot and not having to involve Paint (I never use Paint3D, even on Win10).

Just because it's Microsoft would be my guess :unsure: You can change the location yourself by just going to c:\users\YourName\, then RightClick on Videos and select Properties. Go to the Location tab and change it there. 

I personally use the Snipping Tool since I almost never want a full screen shot. That way I can save anywhere I want to and can also paste it into a Word doc or any other application if needed.

Zeek

#9 camtornado

camtornado

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:40 PM

The small FREE open-source program that I recommend is Greenshot. It is free of unwanted "extras" during its installation.

You can get it here …..

https://filehippo.com/download_greenshot/

Want to create or send a screenshot? Get Greenshot! It’s a Windows screenshot utility that makes capturing and sending screenshots easy. It allows to capture either the entire screen, a region or a selected window via menu or keyboard shortcuts. Screenshots can be send to a file, printer, email or the Windows clipboard. The tool has functions for annotation, and obfuscation and highlighting of parts of the image. Some of the options that can be configured in the preferences include output path, image format (JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP) and filename pattern.

It's a "one-stop-shop" in that you don't need to open Paint (or similar) to add enhancements to your screenshots.

You can do this within the Greenshot program itself. It's very handy for obfuscating text that you don't want displayed on your screenshots.

I have illustrated some of the available enhancements that I've added to my screenshot  in my external Imgur link below …..

https://imgur.com/a/bJuxmOC

With a little practice, I think you'll like this program … I've used it for many years for my screenshots and then adding enhancements to them.

I suggest you Google it for independent reviews.

The icon will be added to your Notification Area, and when you right-click on it, it gives you various menu options

Edited by camtornado, 09 November 2018 - 07:53 PM.

#10 misar

misar

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

The way WinKey+ALT+PrtSc works - file in Videos\Captures, notification from Xbox, filename with precise date and time, suggests that whoever wrote it was only interested in capturing stills from games and videos. They just happened to write a function which takes any "window shot" if there is one on the screen with focus.

Out of interest I also tried it with a window on the screen but not having focus - nothing happens. If you do that with ALT+PrtSc it follows logic and copies the entire screen to the clipboard.

Edited by misar, 10 November 2018 - 01:38 PM.

#11 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:51 PM

WinKey + <Shift + S> gives you the new snip tool.

rectangular, free-form, or full-screen

Edited by mightywiz, 14 November 2018 - 06:51 PM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:55 PM

An important clarification:  new in Version 1809.  Until you get to that Version this tool is not available.

I expect it will be weeks before any significant subset of Windows 10 users will be updated to Version 1809.  This rollout is going to be very slow given the way the initial attempt played out.

~ Mark Twain

#13 zeekstern

zeekstern

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:00 AM

An important clarification:  new in Version 1809.  Until you get to that Version this tool is not available.

I expect it will be weeks before any significant subset of Windows 10 users will be updated to Version 1809.  This rollout is going to be very slow given the way the initial attempt played out.

I

I'm running Version 1803 OS Build 17134.407 and it works just fine for me. 

I don't get the little Window that pops up if you open Snipping Tool normally, but I don't see where I need it for anything:))

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

zeekstern,

So, when you hit WinKey+Shift+S you see this (but with the gray curtain covering the entire screen):

new_screenshot_tool.jpg

I was under the understanding this was an introduction in the latest version of Windows 10, but if it isn't then it would be good to have that confirmed by others running 1803 (and to see if any of the 1709 stragglers might confirm whether it's present there, too).

~ Mark Twain

#15 zeekstern

zeekstern

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

Actually Brian, no. I do not see the box you have with the purple square at the top of your screen shot. My entire screen turns a very light color and the mouse pointer turns to a cross. I can then highlight any part of the screen. If I click the Start icon that brings up all the Start menu, I can even capture that, which I really like. Of course, I can only paste it into a Word doc or Publisher etc, but that's ok too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users