Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser extensions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:50 AM

Hi Guys

After a malware attack some years ago I added some browser extensions to help keep safe. It does slow my surfing down somewhat, but I reckoned it was worth it. Can I ask you to look at my extensions to see if I,m duplicating or missing something that would improve my security

I have Windows 10 OS

With Windows Defender backed up by Malwarebytes premium and several on demand scanners.

My extensions are: WOT, Ghostery, U Block Origin, IBM Trusteer and Qualys browser checker.

I would be grateful for any input.

Cluey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

To protect my web browser (Firefox), privacy, help prevent advertisements & block websites, I use the following:

• uBlock Origin, a general purpose blocker which can block both ads and scripts.
  • AdBlock, an extension that blocks most ads including annoying YouTube video ads.
  • Ghostery a tool which allows you to block beacons, trackers, advertising, analytics, widgets and cookies.
  • Malwarebytes Add-on, an extension which provides malware, scam, advertising/tracker and clickbait protection.
  • HTTPS Everywhere, an extension that encrypts your communications, making your browsing more secure.
  • Disable HTML5 Autoplay, an extension that disables autoplay and preloading of HTML5 video and audio players.
  • SpywareBlaster Free, a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone"...see here for more detailed information.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Hi, Cluless!

It would help if you could mention which web browser(s) you use, because there are some extensions that only are available for some, but not all, web browsers.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 31 May 2018 - 09:40 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 Cluless

Cluless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for input Quietman

Musicman I generally use Google

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:14 AM

Most of the popular browser extensions are also available for Google Chrome.
  • uBlock Origin, a general purpose blocker which can block both ads and scripts.
  • AdBlock, an extension that blocks most ads including annoying YouTube video ads.
  • AdBlock Plus, an extension that blocks video ads, banners, pop-ups and other forms of intrusive and annoying advertising, as well as blocking tracking and malwares.
  • Ghostery a tool which allows you to block beacons, trackers, advertising, analytics, widgets and cookies.
  • Malwarebytes Add-on, an extension which provides malware, scam, advertising/tracker and clickbait protection.
  • HTTPS Everywhere, an extension that encrypts your communications, making your browsing more secure.
  • HTML5 Video Autoplay Blocker, an extension that disables autoplay and preloading of HTML5 video and audio players.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:42 AM

Hi, Cluless & quietman7!

These browser extensions are also available for Google Chrome:

• uBlock Origin Extra, a companion extension to uBlock Origin to gain the ability to foil early hostile anti-user mechanisms working around content blockers.
  • Phish.AI IDN Protect, a small utility to protect against IDN/Unicode websites (homograph attacks).
  • OPSWAT MetaDefender (File Security), an easy-to-use tool that lets you check any file or application for malware and known vulnerabilities after you download it.

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

Yes and there are many more but it's impractical to list them all unless you go to Chrome Web Store.

Firefox users would need to go to the Firefox Privacy & Security Extensions page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users