Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is a HP Compaq dc7900 good enough to handle today's web pages and video players?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AZ546

AZ546

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:28 AM

I am considering buying a HP Compaq dc7900 Business Desktop. I would install Linux Mint and probably upgrade the 2 GB of RAM that's installed to 4 GB.

It's an old desktop that originally came with windows Vista. Do you think this computer is good enough to use without freezing, crashing and playing videos slowly/ choppy?

Specs: https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-business-desktop-dc7900-core-2-duo-e8500-3-16-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

It uses DDR2 memory, How much are you going to spend on this aged dinosaur?

Unless it is under $100. I personally would not waste any time or $$$ on this thing

Edited by Joe C, 31 May 2018 - 08:00 AM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

It uses DDR2 memory, How much are you going to spend on this aged dinosaur?

Unless it is under $100. I personally would not waste any time or $$$ on this thing

Indeed, if this is like a $30 or $50 then its fine.

I mean it would be a good linux box but not much else.

I found one for about $60, thats fair as it will be a nice little media box with linux on it

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 May 2018 - 03:20 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#4 AZ546

AZ546
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

It's $40. And I have the RAM lying around, so it won't cost me anything to upgrade it. 

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

Awesome sauce then go for it

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,394 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:31 PM

Ram lying around does not mean it will be compatible!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:50 PM

It's $40. And I have the RAM lying around, so it won't cost me anything to upgrade it. 

A lot of those older boxes are limited to 2gb ram and 32 bit, so you need to check out the specs first because Windows is not going to run many of today's apps with only 2 gb of ram. I'm seeing less and less support for any 32 bit apps now too

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

A lot of those older boxes are limited to 2gb ram and 32 bit, so you need to check out the specs first because Windows is not going to run many of today's apps with only 2 gb of ram. I'm seeing less and less support for any 32 bit apps now too

According to the information i was able to dig up this machine may have a awesome max ram for its time 16 gigs of ram but then agin this is a business class PC so makes sense.

If they have compatible ram then its all fine, and if not ddr2 can still be found for cheap (used)

Edited by MadmanRB, 01 June 2018 - 02:04 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,394 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:28 PM

I have seen off lease machines going for very little more that without doubt would blow that box away!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,527 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:56 AM

I have seen off lease machines going for very little more that without doubt would blow that box away!

I'd listen to the wise one in post # 9. :thumbup2:

Personally I would stay away from HP computers or anything that has to do with HP products.

Edited by The-Toolman, 02 June 2018 - 02:26 PM.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,342 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

I'd listen to the wise one in post # 9. :thumbup2:

Personally I would stay away from HP computers or anything that has to do with HP products.

Unless you are a linux user and want a printer/scannner that works out of the box.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#12 AZ546

AZ546
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:53 AM

I wanted to say that I purchased that $40 computer (It was the slim version) and it works great. I upgraded the RAM and installed linux mint and it works as well as my 5 year old laptop. Video players work flawlessly and I'm not experiencing any lag.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:18 AM

FWIW:  There are...i3, i5 and i7 systems which are refurbs...which would be a better way to spend your money.  Most of them seem to come with Win 10 installed, have at least 4GB DDR3 installed...and cost less than $300.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Optiplex 790 SFF for a friend needing a system...i5, 4GB, and so on.  Cost was less than $200.  System served it's purpose for 3 years with no problems.  Yesterday, I purchased the same system (with 8GB RAM) for $150, with the intent of using the hardware to overcome a hardware issue with my original purchase...that's a projected $1 per week cost...for reliable computing ability.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users