Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer fell off desk. USB not recognized if moved in port.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CoolBeeeze

CoolBeeeze

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

So about 4 months ago my computer fell off a desk and ever since then anytime I move the USBs in the ports they would not be recognized sometimes I would have luck switching around the mouse USB keyboard USB headset USB Etc. I recently duct taped the computer's USB ports it was a very ghetto fix but for some reason the duct tape wouldn't hold or I would bump the port. So I decided that I would open up the computer and check the USB drives I took a pair of pliers to the USB ports and clamped them down a little and made a more secure connection for the USB. It felt like the USB was more secure in the slot but it really didn't do s***. The only fix is restarting the computer every time that the ports aren't recognized. I'm thinking of just buying new USB ports and installing them. I was wondering if there was another fix or maybe something that I wasn't thinking of is there a way I could go into the USB port Hardware (sorry I don't have a proper name for it) and maybe fix it? Do you guys have any idea why it's doing this I mean I know why it's doing it because when it dropped the USB ports got jerked around and became loose. So once again I already clamped down the little aluminum port that holds the male end of the USBs, to no avail. Everything works fine when I restart it for a long time but I'm telling you if I even move it a little bit I have to restart the computer and it's very frustrating when you're one hour into a dungeon and then you get kicked because your mouse isn't working. I have a warranty at Microcenter until July but they want like 4 weeks or something to fix this because they have to send it to the manufacturer. And there's no way I'm going to wait 4 weeks. I would post the specs but it probably wouldn't matter it's more of a hardware issue.

I'm also really stumped at why when I reconnect it it doesn't recognize it what's up with that I know it cant be only a hardware issue, because the USB was just working. Any idea why it won't recognize it after I plug it in again?

Edited by CoolBeeeze, 30 May 2018 - 11:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

was something plugged in when the computer hit the ground?

if so you may just have some bad solder connections where the usb connector is soldered to the motherboard.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

The first question is "Are the USB ports mounted to the board or on the chassis??  If board mounted, get the warranty repair., not a job for an amateur.  The constant  bumping is the biggest hazard to any connector.  Replace the cable end.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:39 AM

I have a warranty at Microcenter until July but they want like 4 weeks or something to fix this because they have to send it to the manufacturer. And there's no way I'm going to wait 4 weeks. I would post the specs but it probably wouldn't matter it's more of a hardware issue.

If this is a desktop a quick fix would be to purchase a usb card that installs into a pci slot and use it.

https://www.amazon.com/pci-usb-card/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apci%20usb%20card

Personally If I were you and have a warranty at a micro-center I would let them fix it as that was the reason I would think that you purchased or have the warranty agreement / contract.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#5 CoolBeeeze

CoolBeeeze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:16 PM

For your reply yeah they're chassis mounted not board mounted so that's kind of why I was tinkering with it I will check the soldering myself secure all points and see if that works if not I'll go with the other options you guys listed thanks a lot for your perspective

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users