Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help upgrading my desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arkisher

arkisher

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

Hey Iam a beginner with this computer stuff.
I bought myself a used gaming desktop, but I want/need to upgrade to be able to play new games such as pubg and others with good fps (100+)
These are the specs

windows 10
amd fx 8350   
R7 260x
16 gb of ram
msi 970A-G46
antec H950 ( cooling )
EVGA 600B  80plus   ( power supply )

drive C is 167gb
drive d  2 terabytes HDD ( where i install all games )

im playing on a 32 inch samsung tv thats 1920 x 1080   ( will buy a computer monitor later on )

for example for me to buy a 1080 the fx8350 will bottle neck.
can i buy a new gpu and cpu and use it with the power supply and cooling fan I have? in other words keep everything just change the gpu and cpu? and if so to what.
need advice. thanks, apreciate it.

Edited by hamluis, 10 June 2018 - 07:36 AM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Bldg/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ahs89

ahs89

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:32 AM

Hey! I am using the same processor with 16GB of memory and 1060 GB and I am able to run most of the games on more than 100fps. My recommendation would be to upgrade your graphics card get a 1060 or Rx 570. Both of these cards are power packed and your processor can easily handle cards on 100+ fps.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

^^That would probably be the most cost effective upgrade.

can i buy a new gpu and cpu and use it with the power supply and cooling fan I have? in other words keep everything just change the gpu and cpu? and if so to what.

need advice. thanks, apreciate it.

Unfortunately not.  To upgrade the CPU to a current one (AMD Ryzen series or Intel Core 8th gen) will mean a minimum of a new motherboard (type depends on what CPU you wanted to buy exactly) and new DDR4 RAM, as DDR3 won't fit current motherboards.  It might also entail a new Windows license.   The power supply is OK in terms of providing enough power.  It's a low end model though, and I think if you were using expensive high end hardware like a GTX 1080 then most system builders would recommend using a higher quality PSU to match (not necessarily higher wattage).

The Antec cooler will work on Intel LGA 11xx CPU's but I'm unsure if it will work on AMD AM4 CPU's.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Selena3387

Selena3387

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 08:28 AM

Go for Card 1060 is a better option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users