Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If one of the plugs is plugged in wrong, could the motherboard be fried when on?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim00

Jim00

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

So, one of my computers broke due to my faulty craftsmanship, I had realized that I had plugged in wrong of the wires wrong. I will send a picture later if necessary of the plug that was wrongfully plugged in the motherboard. Say the motherboard did become fried, would this affect the function of the other components, ex. CPU, fans, etc.? I feel like my dumb mistake really cost me my computer and I've been having some issues with putting the components in and out of the motherboard. For example, the screws of the CPU don't attach all the way. 

Thanks

Jim00

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

The answer to both questions is yes, a wrong connection can short out the MB, what other components could be damaged would depend on the voltage and how far through the system hardware any voltage got before expiring (a higher voltage may go further through the system) rather a basic answer I`m afraid but even a real low voltage from something like a USB port can damage your hardware.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

Most of the builds that I have been into after the user/builder encountered something they couldn't make sense of.  Many had these types of faults but none were serious enough to fry any components on the MOBO.  External switches (power, turbo, fan etc) or LED displays.  All of which could have been damaged if not plugged into its proper header on the main board.  The mostly rely on power to them, not a powered input to the board. "Dead Panel" power switches are front mounted and have only 5 volts to them, sensing a short when activated and turning on the rest of the power supply.  Some chassis have fancy displays and indicators and most need to be accompanied with a main board to support those frills and these would require specific interfaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users