Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Windows 8.1 Installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

I was given a near pristine Windows HP Tower.  It has 4 gigs of Ram and decent hard drive that I had in storage.  I used it to store data on it but does not have a operating system..  It is 160 gigs so I know it is not a large drive but will serve my purpose.

The tower had Windows Vista on it and the hard drive was not readable.  I replaced the drive with mine and want to use a installation disc for Windows 8.1.  I do have the key code and I think this should make a decent tower for my granddaughter.

After placing my drive in the HP tower, I tried to install Windows 8.1.  Something clattered inside the tower so there is some kind of problem.  Once I began to install 8.1 it asked for my key code and was accepted.  

A screen came up that said "No signed Device Drivers were found.  Make sure that the installation media has the correct divers and then continue.  

I can't seem to find an answer on how to make this work.  Please let me know what steps I need to make so that I may install Windows 8.1 on this machine.

Many thanks for all of your assistance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

Something clattered inside the tower so there is some kind of problem

That doesn't sound good. When you boot to the BIOS is the hard drive detected? Make sure the SATA data and power cables are securely attached. 

See the BC guide on installing Windows 10. The steps for Windows 8 will be identical except you will use the convert MBR command as this computer had Windows Vista and therefor a Legacy BIOS. Use the Media Creation Tool for Windows 8.1 to get an iso file and use that to either burn a DVD or use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:23 AM

After placing my drive in the HP tower, I tried to install Windows 8.1

Is this an OEM or retail version of Windows?

In addition to John's suggestion above:

>make sure that a loose cable is not contacting one of the fans inside the computer.

>test your hard drive: download Seatools for DOS (free) and burn it to a CD or DVD. Make sure your BIOS is set to CD=First Boot Device (so the computer boots from the DVD drive on startup). Insert the disk and boot. When the screen opens, choose the short test (upper left corner) and let it run for one full pass (just a few minutes). It will message you "pass" or "fail".

If it messages you that it can not find a drive to test, or refuses to run that will give us a further clue as to the cause.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

You'll have to hunt down that clattering problem on your own.

Can you please tell us the exact Model Number on the pc?

Is it possible that the cpu is 32bit and the install media is 64bit?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users