Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this new hard drive be compatible?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sbutk1

sbutk1

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

Hi,

I've been referred here by a diligent BleepingComputer helper who ultimately just assisted me in determining conclusively that I need to replace my internal hard drive.

I am in favor of this particular drive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013QFRS2S/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527692407&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=western+digital+2tb+internal+hard+drive&dpPl=1&dpID=519l6PabkxL&ref=plSrchwas not able to provide me with a succinct U

...and am just seeking confirmation that it will be compatible with my system.

My helper had me use Speccy to take a snapshot of my system. in order to help you to make that judgement.

Unfortunately (perhaps due to my current computer woes), Speccy was unable to provide me with a succinct URL to publish here.  Thus I am including my snapshot in a text file as an attachment to this post.

Hoping to hear back from someone soon and be on my way to getting my system humming again.

Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

You have a Dell 660 Desktop?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-660/manuals

According to the manual you have four SATA connectors.  One is being used by the Seagate HDD and the other is by an optical drive (the WD Passport is connected by USB).  Thus, you have two free SATA connectors and apparently have one free 3.5 (HDD) drive bay and one free 5.25 (optical) drive bay.

Yes, the WD 2TB Blue is compatible.  

#3 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

Yes, the WD 2TB Blue is compatible.  

Good to know, thanks.

Deleted.

Not quite sure what happened here?...

My Short and Long tests with SeaTools did both supposedly pass; although a subsequent scan run with GSmartControl is what convinced my helper (garioch7) and me that my current hard drive is on the way out.

The complete thread is here (See specifically Posts #35 and 37):

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/677581/computerfirefox-drain-of-resources-seeking-followup-assistance-from-garioch7/page-3#entry4504020

I'll be reporting back to Phil.  I think we've both been thoroughly convinced at this point that I need a new hard drive; but if anyone has a convincing opinion otherwise, we'd love to hear it.

Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

When I am convinced that I want/need a new hard drive...I just buy one and install it.

No hard drive diagnostic delivers 100% "proof" of anything...they just report what is seen, based on the parameters incorporated in the tool.

I use both GSmart and SeaTools...I've never seen one contradict the other, although I don't claim to have knowledge concerning how such tools work.

Before I ever decided to keep using a drive which a respected diagnostic decided had no problems...I would run that long diagnostic with SeaTools again.  I don't think the short tests are indicative of anything other than a user unwillingness to run the long tests :).

I don't know of any "compatibility" issues that a hard drive can have...there are only 3 types (if you include SSDs).  That drive you favor is a 2TB WD drive...the only thing that would keep me from buying it...it's 5400 rpm, while I prefer 7200 drives.

I use both WD and Seagate drives...I don't subscribe to the opinion that one is "better" than the other.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2018 - 06:36 PM.

#5 sbutk1

sbutk1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

When I am convinced that I want/need a new hard drive...I just buy one and install it.

No hard drive diagnostic delivers 100% "proof" of anything...they just report what is seen, based on the parameters incorporated in the tool.

I use both GSmart and SeaTools...I've never seen one contradict the other, although I don't claim to have knowledge concerning how such tools work.

Before I ever decided to keep using a drive which a respected diagnostic decided had no problems...I would run that long diagnostic with SeaTools again.  I don't think the short tests are indicative of anything other than a user unwillingness to run the long tests :).

I don't know of any "compatibility" issues that a hard drive can have...there are only 3 types (if you include SSDs).  That drive you favor is a 2TB WD drive...the only thing that would keep me from buying it...it's 5400 rpm, while I prefer 7200 drives.

I use both WD and Seagate drives...I don't subscribe to the opinion that one is "better" than the other.

Louis

Thank you.  I will run SeaTools (Long test) overnight again and report back to my helper, to see whether this presents any new information.

Edited by sbutk1, 30 May 2018 - 07:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users