Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning up after smss-DoOoMs virus attack

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Markmarkmarm

Markmarkmarm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

So what I'm assuming is my computer was infected with the smss-dooom malware, a pretty big virus and threat. I never noticed any change in performance, or any odd behavior... i think my anti virus just removed it as soon as it saw it... however. It left some garbage behind. Ive completely removed any traces of it. And so did my computer. But i still get the script error "cannot find script file. ... ... local/temp/system/smss-doooms.vbs"

How can i remove this. Ive gone into regedit and removed any trace of it in any script. But what registry key is calling for that script. Ive done complete searches with the "search everything" program. I even created a blank text document. Titled it smss-doooms.txt and switched the txt to vbs and threw that in the folder. That worked for a few days. Its driving me nuts. Dooom isnt starting up. Its not in process or services. I think its just a leftover script trying to call a virus that isnt there. But how can i fix the script.

Ive tried avira. Avg. Regedit pro. Malwarebytes. I just need to fix that script. Any help would be nice. I can live with the error if the only alternative is reinstall windows. But yeah. Its not causing no harm. Its just something im missing and i need someone smarter to help. Please. And thank you. Kindly. -mark

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2018 - 06:42 PM.
Moved from Buying New to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Secondly, this topic definitely isn't in the right forum section, it's presently in a section designated for advice on buying a new computer. And your post suggests you don't want a new computer, you just want this one fixing !

Please post back with information on your operating system and the basic specs - make and model - on your computer and I will see about moving it to a more relevant location.

Alternatively, if you are wanting to get the game 'Doom' to run uninstall it and re-install it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Markmarkmarm

Markmarkmarm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

Dell 7577 inspirion 15

Ram 16gb
I7-7700hq @2.6ghz
64bit

Nothing to do with the game doom lol. This has to do with a malware virus called smss-dooom. Notice the 3 o's. I can see the mixup. I dont play doom. I apologise for posting in the wrong forum. I never post in forms and i got confused

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 31 May 2018 - 03:30 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:32 AM

Same issues posted at GeeksToGo website:  http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/371257-cleaning-up-after-smss-doooms-virus-attack/ ..

Siince the folks there are already at work on your situation...and posting same issues to a different website will probably only lead to duplication of effort and/or miscommunication...I urge you to pursue your topic at GTG and I am closing this topic in AII.

If GTG does not result in satisfactory resolution....and that topic is closed...then, if you desire, you may open a malware topic here at BC.