Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove graphics board - no visible screws

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 limpopolondon

limpopolondon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

Greetings - my gaming pc's been unplugged in the loft for a year and the bios battery looks like it's dead. I can't get to it as it's under the fan on one of the graphics cards. But, I can't see how to remove the graphics card as there are no visible screws, and the plate on which they're mounted is riveted in place. The only things I can see to unscrew are some small hex head nuts at the back. Before I break something, please can someone tell me the obvious? Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

GPUs normally have a single retaining screw that fixes them to the rear of the chassis + a retaining lever on the MB, see attachment below;

Attached Files

#3 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:54 PM

What kind of case is that? Looks as if the back bracket flips up...think I've seen such mechanism at some point.

#4 limpopolondon

limpopolondon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

​Thanks for your answers - I couldn't see an obvious retaining screw, hence my post. They're very firmly anchored to the back plate so the only thing I can try is to unscrew the nuts on the back where the monitor cables plug in. The case is a 2009 Ikonik. Custom built by Chillblast

#5 limpopolondon

limpopolondon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

The shiny bar is the thing holding the card in but I can't see how to flip it up. I guess the clips need to be pressed in a particular way but I don't want to bend or break anything. If you know how, I'd be grateful. Thanks 

Attached Files

#6 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

As I mentioned earlier ... looks like it just flips up.  

Found this video from 2009 video from 3DGameman doing a review on a Ikonik case.  He briefly flips it...

About 5:24 into the video...

Also this one from 3DGameman in 2008 ... about 4:45 into the video

So, yea.  It just flips up.  It might have gotten stuck so you may need to gently persuade it to move by applying force around the thicker hinge (in the center) and make sure that the bracket itself is bending (maybe something has caught it)?

Edit, oh ... and you may have to press down gently on the thicker hinge while flipping it up.  I think it has a locking type bump...if that makes sense. Pay particular attention to the first video when it flips it back down and watch the thick hinge "lock".

Edited by jjkusaf, 30 May 2018 - 05:10 PM.

#7 CoolBeeeze

CoolBeeeze

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:46 PM

Yeah I was disconnecting my gfx card that there was a little lever that flips up look hard enough and you'll see it you might have to put a little pressure on your graphics card and push it up a little bit while U hit the lever or maybe push it down a little bit and then flip the lever. Don't be scared to use a little Force I know it seems nerve-wracking when you're around all the expensive equipment but it took a little Force for me to get that lever flipped.

#8 limpopolondon

limpopolondon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:55 AM

Thank you all for your replies, with special thanks to JJKUSAF whose videos solved the problem. There was indeed an invisible bump in the large hinge, which when pressed, let the card holder fold up to reveal the locking screw. I'll replace the 2032 battery and see what happens now. If anyone knows which BIOS details are needed, or where I can find which ones are needed to reset that would be helpful too. Cheers 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users