Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes under high network usage

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 NWA99

NWA99

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Hello there,

I have finally decided to seek technical support as this problem I have has been frustrating me for a long long time now. 

This issue has been occurring for as long as my (semi-) new build has existed; about 8 months. I have done lots and lots of troubleshooting and as you probably can tell - with neither luck nor success. 

Whenever I start downloading (streaming as well of course) a usually large file using either Steam or JDownloader or even Chrome sometimes, my PC starts freezing after an unexpected amount of time (I use WiFi btw).
Using JDownloader however, I have noticed that every single time this happens, the average download speed keeps decreasing until it reaches 0 MB/s and only a 5-7 seconds after the computer becomes completely unresponsive, meaning a hard lock with no BSODS or anything - no mouse movement at all, no caps lock led working, nothing at all. I tried waiting for the PC to become responsive after a while but after several hours, it was still the same. So the only thing that's left is a hard reset, which is a big pain every time I have to do it.

I went to check for any errors in the Event Viewer, but no indicators pointing to an error, just the standard "The last system shutdown was not proper" due to unknown reasons - nothing else.

So what have I tried (this might not contain everything as I have really tried a lot and over the past few months I will surely have forgotten some things):

- Checked for faulty hardware (exchanged network adapter with my brother's, checked for HDD errors, ran memory check for several hours, stress tested GPU and CPU, changed some of the SATA cables). 
Only thing I did not try was try out another PSU, as the one I'm using is from my slightly older build from 2015, but still it should not be the problem as heavy gaming for a very long period of time does not cause any errors.
So I think all in all, the hardware should not be faulty - any crashes or at least freezes should occur while gaming otherwise, no?

- Completely wiping my disk and re-installing Win 10.

- Tried re-seating my RAM DIMM's and pressure-air-cleaning all components after re-seating them. I tried putting the network card (which is still a bit of a suspect to me tbf) into another PCI-e slot but it did not bear any fruit either.

- Checked of course for malware but there wasn't anything malicious there.

- Tried using the the all in one repair software from Tweaking.com, and went trough all the options, but nothing either.

- sfc /scannow, chkdsk, and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth and its other forms were also all tried but did not show any problems.

- Setting hard drive to not sleep automatically after a while

- High-Performance enery mode

- Network adapter cannot control PC in terms of sleeping

- Flashed most recent BIOS update

- Updated CPU, GPU and network drivers

- Temps are also always fine. 

As I mentioned before, I might have forgotten to list everyting, so any further suggestions are really very welcome and I will be answering immediately, as I am really desperate at this point.

The problem with this issue is that is not reproducable at will, meaning it just happens after a while of downloading - can be after 2 minutes of downloading or after 6 hours of downloading - it's really very random.

Now I doubt it's a hardware issue, but what still comes to my mind is either a service or driver issue. I have not tried downloading or streaming from safe mode yet, but I am planning to, if everything else fails.

Now I've had the idea of monitoring the PC a long time ago, but that was not helpful at all either, because CPU usage stays the same, GPU does not show any unexpected behaviour or spikes and memory and disk usage are all the same as well. Network usage of course is a little high but that is natural due to the downloading.

I have used Task Manager, ProcessHacker, MSI Afterburner, HWMonitor and AIDA64 for monitoring but there is simply nothing that is being monitored which could be a lead.

As I also mentioned before, the issue with his problem is that it's very random - as in I cannot force it, it just happens all of a sudden. I tried out many situations, e.g. Gaming while downloading, watching Youtube while downloading and even leaving the PC completely alone while downloading but it just freezes after a while.

I have several programs running in the background, such as MSI Afterburner along with RivaTuner, Teamviewer, Rainmeter, Logitech Gaming Software (for my peripherals), TranslucentTB and Asus AURA Sync to name a few. I have thought about disabling them all of them and then re-enabling them one by one to try and force the the PC to freeze but that is a really big amount of labour that I'm currently postponing for a later occasion.

Now I have thought - is there a program that would monitor EVERYTHING that's happening on the PC, even if it's a huge resource hog, I would not care, that would show me the log after I hard reset the PC? A program that can monitor services starting up, drivers loading, background applications starting and closing and general hardware usage. Does anybody know of a program like that? That would help me a lot.

I usually like my PC to be very clean and optimized, and do not tolerate any bugs or crashes and what not, and try to solve all problems as soon as I find one but at this point I would even be willing to stop using Steam or downloading anything over JDownloader, if this would just avoid this issue, but even streaming Twitch or sports events results in a complete lockup after a while.

I am really desperate and any kind of help is really welcome, so I appreciate all the answers.

Of course, specs are:

MoBo: ASUS Prime X370 PRO

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (at stock clock)

GPU: NVidia GTX 1080 Ti (also stock)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 (2 sticks of 8 GB, dual channel, using XMP profile)

PSU: EVGA B2 750W 

SSD: Samsung EVO 850, 250 GB

HDD: 2x WD Blue, 1TB

Network: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I (using the Intel AC7260 chip)

Let me know if I forgot any of the specs, as I'm currently a little tired and might have forgotten a thing or two and thank you in advance!

EDIT: Just had another freeze, checked Event Viewer again and this time I got the following error:

Audit events have been dropped by the transport.  0, Event ID: 1101

Am currently investigating what this is about! 

EDIT 2: Have found someone reporting about this same issue and someone suggested it's a Windows Update problem so I applied the suggested fix, however, I am not confident about this.

Link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/event-viewer-error-in-windows-10/c86a0176-e515-42b2-b8ec-851ab43f87f8

EDIT 3:
Just freezed again, sigh. Am really frustrated.

Edited by NWA99, 30 May 2018 - 03:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NWA99

NWA99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

So no ideas at all in here?

#3 NWA99

NWA99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Still nothing at all? Disappointing.

#4 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:15 AM

Good day.

Just a shot in the dark: Have you tried safe mode with networking?

Another idea. Try latency monitor or similar to check your DPC latency.

I suppose your drivers are updated, right?

#5 NWA99

NWA99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

Good day.

Just a shot in the dark: Have you tried safe mode with networking?

Another idea. Try latency monitor or similar to check your DPC latency.

I suppose your drivers are updated, right?

Hello there,

thanks a lot for this great input! My drivers are indeed all up-to-date. So I checked the DPC latency using LatencyMon and there was indeed some strange activity. Under normal load or idle mode, there is no high latency at all, just whenever I'm downloading under high speeds, say for example Steam/UPlay downloading an update, the latency goes up abnormally high.

This goes back to the Network Driver Interface Specification - or ndis.sys. Throttling, as well as the WLAN adapter and Power management are being indicated as possible suspects. Since I've already tried another WLAN adapter however, I doubt that's the problem. Power Management set to Ryzen Balanced or High Performance gets me the same results and my PSU should be able to handle all my hardware, I've also tride exchanging the SATA power cables; disabling any sort of CPU Throttling from the Power options as suggested by LatencyMon does not help me either. Tried doing a clean reboot and download from there, but did not help either and the PC froze after some time. So I went on to try downloading any update or simply a big file from Google Drive in safe mode with networking enabled for many many hours to have it *surprise* NOT freeze, which is excellent news. I went on to try downloading again in normal boot conditions and it froze after just a few minutes. This means that a hardware or software issue can be excluded, resulting in it most likely being a driver issue. I'm investigating the ndis.sys driver right now, and some suggestions on the Internet said it could be a virus disguised as this exact driver, which I highly doubt, considering I ran many malware tests and this issue even persisting after a clean format and a completely new Windows image a while back. 

So my main issue right now is to identify what exactly is causing the ndis.sys driver to result in this mess. For now, I will resort to downloading big files only in safe mode to not have the PC freeze on me. I'm getting closer to finally find a solution to this mess, but still am a little shook up. I am thinking about using the Driver verifier, however, doing so a while back resulted in my PC ending up in a boot loop, even though I had done a System image backup prior to enabling it. I was not able to disable it at all and had to do a Windows Reset to get the PC to work again. 

Again thanks a lot for giving me hope again to believe this issue is indeed solvable, I'm just no quite there yet. I would like to go though all drivers and check them one by one to just make sure it's indeed the NDIS driver. So what would you suggest I do now, given the info I just provided? Would you like a report from LatencyMon or anything else that could give us any other clue on how to further proceed?

Oh and also the NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver or nvlddmkm.sys is going up a little, but it's just slightly over 0.5ms which I guess can be neglected, as it's not as drastic as the ndis.sys going up to 2.11ms (just another FYI).

#6 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

If you think it is related to your wifi network driver. Have you tried using only Ethernet and see if the problem continues. I would also suggest performing a clean boot to help troubleshoot since you said it does not happen in safe mode. I am not sure driver verifier is a good option at this point since you are not getting any bsod's. Another option is to run a WPT trace while downloading to see if it would help narrow down the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

#7 NWA99

NWA99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

Tried doing a clean reboot and download from there, but did not help either and the PC froze after some time. 

Thanks for your answer, but I've already tried a clean boot, which did not help unfortunately. Driver Verifier would be my absolute last resort, as I've already had some problems utilizing it, which is why I would not use it unless there's absolutely no choice left. I will try out running a WPT trace later today and will report back!

I have not tried Ethernet yet, as I had hoped to have this as one of last options, as this would require me to take my PC to my living room and connect it to the modem, which would take a huge amount of labour for me, as the living room is a little far away from my bedroom. Also the PC freezing is really random, so I would have to set up the PC in the living room and wait for it to freeze again or just do a regular latency checkup with LatencyMon to see if the driver issue persists, but that would not be concluding enough for me. And I don't have a long enough cable to connect it directly from the living room to my bedrooom.

I will report back however after checking the downloading while running a WPT trace. And if all fails I plan to connect it to Ethernet.

Thank you kindly for the input!

Edited by NWA99, 15 June 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#8 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• 505 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

Okay, I understand. Let me know if you want me to help look at your trace.

#9 NWA99

NWA99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:00 AM

Okay, I understand. Let me know if you want me to help look at your trace.

Sorry I have been a little busy lately with university and didn't have enough time to try and have a go at running a trace, while downloading. 

And yes please, I would like some help. What exactly would you suggest I look at after the trace takes place? I had done some testing around with WPT a long time ago and there was really a lot of information and too many graphs to conclude anything. Should I have a WPT trace run and upload it here? 

#10 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• 505 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:24 PM

Run WPT
Step 1:
Download and Install WPT
Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
Copy and Paste the full commands below into the command prompt
xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 2048 -MaxFile 1024 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d "%userprofile%\desktop\highCPU.etl"
Let it run for approx 1 min
Then Press Any Key to Stop capture
This will create a file highCPU.etl on your desktop
Compress the file to a .zip file and upload to your reply

#11 NWA99

NWA99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Okay, so I had run WPT already a while ago, as mentioned before, and did not quite process the flood of information I was supplied with. Tried understanding more this time but still it's too much information for me to know where to start, which is why I am pretty happy to have someone more experienced, like yourself, have a look at one of the traces - so big thank you!

So I have actually run the provided command twice, one time while Steam was updating a game and another while I was downloading random big files using JDownloader. For now, I'm uploading the one I ran with Steam, as that one was using a higher bandwidth for some reason and I recall the PC freezing more often, when the network usage was very high. If, however, you decide to want to have a look at the other too, please do tell me and I will gladly upload the other one too.

Big thank you again for analyzing it and hopefully this issue shall be resolved soon!

EDIT: Okay, so apparently the file is too big (16.1 MB) to be attached here, probably because I ran the command a little longer than one min, which is why I'm uploading it to OneDrive - sorry for the inconvenience. 

Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoWAMJkRD6IIvW2u6W3tMavPeZ_4

Edited by NWA99, 19 June 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#12 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• 505 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

Sorry for the delay I had some computer issues myself the last couple days. I will check it out in the next day or two and let you know what I might see or if I need anything else.

#13 NWA99

NWA99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

It's okay, take your time; this issue has been plaguing me for almost a year now, so any help is really appreciated. Thank you.

#14 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• 505 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

I have been sick but will start looking at these files to see if I can offer any help. Please upload the other trace files for comparison.

#15 NWA99

NWA99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:57 PM

Here is the other one. I hope this will be of further help. Oh and get well soon! :)

Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoWAMJkRD6IIvW4043nYMaJyVz8L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users