Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios doesn't see HDD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Banjojoe

Banjojoe

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

Heres my problem:

I have a HP Windows 7 unit SP1 everything was working fine until i tried to install a WD Sata Hard Drive as storage (1.5tb). I'm fairly good with my hands so I figured I would set the new drive below the first and use a spliter from the power supply and just add a new Sata cable and I would be fine.  Wrong!  That was Sunday.  I've been working on this thing now off and on for a few days and I can't get it to boot up.  It boots to a black screen with white letters that says something like "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE".  So I go into the bios and it doesn't see either HDD.  So I figured OK, I'll just put everything back like it was and I'll be fine.  Wrong Again!

Even when I boot into the bios and select return to default settings it still does not see my hard drive; sees everything else but not the HDD.  Sooo....did I lunch box my Hard Drives?  I need help bad.

Banjojoe

Edited by Banjojoe, 30 May 2018 - 11:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

When you say you put everything back, I am assuming you removed the splitter, detached the 1.5TB drive and if you moved the SATA cable on the MB for the boot drive it was attached to the original SATA port. 

I don't think the HDDs are bad. It may be the MB itself. I would make sure the Power connector is secure and if possible change out the SATA data cable to a known good one. 

HP allows you to do a System Diagnostic by tapping Esc at boot. If you have another computer you can determine the health of the drives by attaching them using a USB SATA adapter.

#3 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

John C

I know this is going to sound kind of crazy, but I've been in and out of this box so many times.  Just to answer your question as best as I can, I think i placed the data cable to it's proper place on the mother board, but  maybe not.  I tested the power supply and its putting out around  5+ volts.  Could I have fried the mother board?

#4 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

I forgot to add:  Yes I've removed the splitter and everything that I  added. Sorry should have put this in my original post.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Did you do a System Diagnostic? A SATA data cable can only go in one way and one place on the MB. 

#6 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

I entered System Diagnostic by tapping Esc at boot and it basically show me the DVD drive, but no hard drive.  So, I'm wondering, should I disconnect the power from the DVD and connect to the hard drive? Do you think that would prove anything or better leave that functioning?

My wife's computer is an HP also, but it has Windows 8.1.  I'm kind of hesitant of disconnecting her drive and replacing it with one of mine though.  What if the drive is bad and I blow her MB.  Your going to hear me scream all the way from Florida.  At this point I'm lost.  What should have been an easy installation has turned into a nightmare.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

It couldn't hurt anything. Because you know the power cable to the DVD is good and the SATA data cable too you could use it on the Boot Drive.

One thing I forgot. Sometimes doing a powercycle will get things going again. Remove your power cable, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cable and boot. See if your UEFI settings sees your Hard Drive. 

#8 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:43 PM

I switched the cables from the power supply - the one supplying the DVD - to the hard drive and now nothing shows up.  So I'm thinking the problem is in the Sata cable. That is the cable tshat supplies data anyway.  It maybe plugged into the wrong outlet on the MB or my MB is fried. I'll try replacing that  on the mother board and repost later.. Right now I need a break.

#9 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

I think I found the problem.  Her's what I did:

1st.  took a break and went had lunch.

2nd. took the cables off of the DVD and attached them to the Hard Drives - one Hard Drive at a time

3rd. Started up the computer bios and nothing shows up!

This means to me that something happened to the hard drives when I plugged them into the splitter etc. I hate to think that I'm going to have to reinstall windows on this computer so I order a repair disk from the big "A" .  Hopefully it can do a repair without re-install.

Thanks for holding my hand through all of this.  I'm still not out of the woods yet, but feel like I'm heading in the right direction.  Thanks Again

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

I'm not sure how a repair disk would help if the UEFI cannot detect your HDDs. You could download Windows 10 install disk which can act a like a repair disk using the Media Creation Tool on any Windows 7 or later computer. In any case if your UEFI does not detect your HDDs then no software will repair it. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I would get a USB adapter so you could attach the drives to another computer and run diagnostics on them. It would at least give you the opportunity to recover any data on the drives.

#11 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

Ok. It's been a long day. I've tried everything under the sun, but to no avail.  The last thing that I tried was:  Went to my wife's Windows 8.1 computer, disconnected her drive, plugged in each of mine one by one, and her computer doesn't see either of these two drives.  I then took her drive (feeling sorta brave) and plugged it into my windows 7 rig, and it booted up perfectly.  So I'm thinking the MB is ok so are the connection points and cables.  So, with all of that, does anybody have any ideas?

I also tried booting using command prompt.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

Went to my wife's Windows 8.1 computer, disconnected her drive, plugged in each of mine one by one, and her computer doesn't see either of these two drives

If they were not detected in the UEFI/BIOS of the Windows 8.1 computer then I would say the drives are at fault. You checked the UEFI/BIOS in the Windows 8.1 computer, correct?

The Windows 7 boot hard drive could not boot in the Windows 8.1 computer if SecureBoot was enabled. Also if the Windows 7 boot hard drive was MBR it would never boot on the 8.1 computer as a GPT disk is required in order to boot.

#13 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:20 PM

Went to my wife's Windows 8.1 computer, disconnected her drive, plugged in each of mine one by one, and her computer doesn't see either of these two drives

If they were not detected in the UEFI/BIOS of the Windows 8.1 computer then I would say the drives are at fault. You checked the UEFI/BIOS in the Windows 8.1 computer, correct?

The Windows 7 boot hard drive could not boot in the Windows 8.1 computer if SecureBoot was enabled. Also if the Windows 7 boot hard drive was MBR it would never boot on the 8.1 computer as a GPT disk is required in order to boot.

i never went into system bios on her computer; just tried to start up.  The 8.1 did the same thing as Windows 7 computer when my drives were installed. That's why i figured the drives were at fault.

Should I go back to her computer and see if they are listed in the  bios ? By the way, what is a GPT disk?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

Go back to her computer and attach the drives. Since they may not boot look in her UEFI/BIOS setting and see if the drives are detected. Preferably you should get yourself a USB adapter. That would make it much easier and you would have something that can pull info off a good drive without resorting to pulling apart a computer. Something similar to the one below would work for both SATA and the older IDE drives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-PATA-IDE-to-USB-2-0-Adapter-Converter-Cable-for-2-5-3-5-Inch-Hard-Drive-/321866626452

#15 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:20 PM

ok;

Went back to my wife's Windows 8.1 computer. Unplugged her hard drive and plugged each of mine in one at the time, in other words, separately. Bios is a better version than my Windows 7 unit in fact it is UEFI.  All that being said NADA!  Neither drive is being recognized.  So, I don't know how you can screw up two drives by just plugging them into the mb unless the new drive was faulty to begin with.  I hope you have some other suggestions, cause I'm done. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users