Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer locks up/randomly restarts without BSOD, what can I do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 00saad

00saad

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

My specs:
  • Windows 10 64-bit home
  • CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  • Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G LE
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply
  • 1 SSD HDD and 1 regular SATA HDD

This is a fairly new build, a few months old (except for the video card which I've had for years). Once in a while the computer will just freeze/lock-up/whatever that's called without rebooting. The mouse and keyboard won't work, and I have to do a hard restart to get back to Windows.

Other times it would just reboot without warning. This hasn't happened during any games, just during normal usage like web browsing (at least not yet). What has me really worried this time is when it happened the computer locked up, then rebooted, but wouldn't boot into Windows. It's like it was stuck before that and two error lights on my motherboard (CPU and DRAM) were on, but when I did a hard restart it went back into Windows.

I have it set so it doesn't reboot if there's a BSOD, except I'm not getting any BSOD errors. And when I check System Viewer, all it says is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Kernel-Power 41 (63). That seems vague, and it's a common error I see online. People also say to check the logs before that error appears, and I do, but everything seems fine.

Before I run around like a headless chicken, what should I do to figure out what's causing this error?

Thanks ahead of time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 00saad

00saad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

So I got a BSOD last night...and this time I'm following the instructions in the stickied topic.

I've attached the zip file and a link to the Speccy snapshot

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BOgvD118t8vajzP4VnkDfG6

Attached Files

#3 00saad

00saad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:00 AM

Hope someone can help me this.

#4 00saad

00saad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

BUMP to the first page

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:48 PM

Hi. . .

The bugcheck on the lone BSOD was 0x7a = the requested page of kernel data could not be read from the page file into RAM.

This is typically hardware failure - usually either RAM or HDD; but other hardware failure may be involved as well.

Run hardware diagnostics -

RAM - memtest86+ - run 1 stick at a time; alternate the slots - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3909-test-ram-memtest86.html

HDD - SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Hardware failure is almost always involved with constant freezing as you have described.

My apologies for the wait.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 08 June 2018 - 07:50 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users