Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo C560 2 short beeps no display

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Windyy91

Windyy91

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

Hi guys, I'm having trouble with this rather old AIO, tried reseating optical drive and RAM but to no avail.

Can anyone give me a list of instructions to troubleshoot?

I really hope it isn't the motherboard problem.

It was working fine until I removed the hard drive and left it around a corner without powering on for weeks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

It was working fine until I removed the hard drive and left it around a corner without powering on for weeks.

what was the reasoning for doing this?

#3 Windyy91

Windyy91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

This computer belonged to a company and they took the disks themselves to dispose.

Would that affect BIOS? Its a total blank screen then followed by two beeps, can't see BIOS at all

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

Removing the HDD would not stop you from getting a BIOS screen albeit one with a "no bootable device found" or similar message displayed on the screen.

You mention getting two short beeps, typically a sign of bad RAM and being that the computer is an AIO the graphics rely on the RAM for support.

Suggestion, remove the RAM from the MB, reconnect the power cord and power up, do you still get the exact same two short beeps.

When you post back can you tell us how many sticks of RAM there is and how many slots that there is on the MB. 

#5 Windyy91

Windyy91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

There is 1 stick of 8 GB RAM in it.

Yes, even after removing the RAM from MB there is still the same exact two beeps with no display.

Tried putting it back as well, and its the same.

I just can't have the computer to display something.

*There are two slots of RAM in that AIO, and I tried both slots as well with no avail.

Edited by Windyy91, 30 May 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

*There are two slots of RAM in that AIO, and I tried both slots as well with no avail.

You mention getting two short beeps, typically a sign of bad RAM and being that the computer is an AIO the graphics rely on the RAM for support.

It is looking like bad RAM but can I ask if you have tried removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard for five minutes or so, just in case of a bad setting in the BIOS, you should also inspect the capacitors on the MB to see if any are blown, bulging or leaking.

If clearing the CMOS does not help I can only suggest that you try and borrow a stick of compatible RAM to try or alternatively have the AIO tested by a local tech/tech store who will have compatible RAM close to hand.

As an asides, it s so annoying that people will penny pinch by using an 8GB stick of RAM rather than 2 Xs 4GB sticks and for this very reason, if you had two sticks of RAM and one goes bad you can still use the computer with the one 4GB stick until you get a replacement, another downside of using the one 8GB stick of RAM is that it will only work in single channel mode thus giving you only half of the performance that you have paid for.

#7 Windyy91

Windyy91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

I have not tried removing the CMOS battery from the mainboard as well as the capacitors yet.

I will probably take it to the nearest PC shop for inspection tomorrow.

Yes I agree, I'm doing the dual channel mode way on my own computer too :)

Thanks Phil ! I will keep this post updated on the results just to share with all of you.

Have a good day, cheers.

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the update Windyy91 and hopefully the local tech will say that it is bad RAM, not great but would be the least expensive item to replace.

Had the error beep changed with the RAM removed it would have suggested that the issue is elsewhere and likewise the fact that you do get error beeps gives you a good chance that the MB and CPU are both ok, fingers crossed for you at the store  :thumbup2:

#9 Windyy91

Windyy91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

thank you Phill ! Fingers crossed !

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members