Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need a decent esata port multiplier card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:02 AM

I need a decent ESATA port multiplier card. Essentially the one I had been using up until now a (generic sil3132 pcie card) turned out to be the root of a few random intermittent problems I have been having with my computer. I looked further into the issue and found that the chip-set was horribly out of date ie height of the XP era (had actually pulled this card from my XP machine when I build my first windows 7 computer back in 2012). Turns out that this little card was actually slowing the IO speeds of my entire system and causing the intermittent crashes I had thought was the result of a PSU or Main board problem. Problem is these old dated cards are litterally everywhere and I really need some help finding a decent ESATA port multiplier card with a current chip-set that is fully compatible with windows 7 and wont cause the kind of issues I was having with the 3132 card. I am not really well versed in the world of PCIE add on cards so any help will be appreciated.

Edited by mikeloeven, 30 May 2018 - 02:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:33 AM

All the mainboard SATA ports are in use?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

The esata ports on the MB don't support port multiplier so they only show drive 0 in the external bay

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

While I don't know much about them, I found this after a search - https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/2-Port-SATA-6-Gbps-PCI-Express-eSATA-Controller-Card~PEXESAT32

It uses a Marvell chipset and supports SATA III, so definitely newer than what you were using previously.  They claim Windows 7, 8, 10 compatibility.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Worth A Read, IMO.

If I intended to purchase any type of controller card...my first looks would be to Promise and/or High Point, based on my limited, dated  experiences.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#6 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

Yeah my external bay does have a usb 3.0 connection but there is a problem with the way my bios handles boot order and essentially any time the computer restarts I have to use the manual boot menu as my system prioritizes USB boot and each time the computer posts it sees the drives in the bay as new disks and keeps resetting the boot order. Before you ask yes I did think about disabling USB Boot but for some completely unfathomable reason asrock never included an option to disable this entirely. Either way I want to go back to ESATA because it doesn't have that problem

Edited by mikeloeven, 31 May 2018 - 01:42 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

FWIW:  Inability by the BIOS to retain settings...can be an indication that the CMOS battery is weakening and needs to be replaced with a new one.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2018 - 10:32 AM.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

you do realize esata and sata are the same thing just a different connector, and if you have open sata ports on your motherboard you can just buy sata to esata cable and run it out the case.  my motherboard has 8 sata ports so i removed a slot cover and ran 2 sata to esata cables out the back of the case. 

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:28 AM

mightywiz, that was also my first thought, but unfortunately it looks like the OP has a multi-drive enclosure that requires a port multiplier connection, which isn't an essential part of the SATA spec. If the mainboard SATA ports don't support the feature, it won't work as they say.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

mightywiz, that was also my first thought, but unfortunately it looks like the OP has a multi-drive enclosure that requires a port multiplier connection, which isn't an essential part of the SATA spec. If the mainboard SATA ports don't support the feature, it won't work as they say.

ahhh, I see!

#11 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:18 AM

I actually resolved the boot issues with the USB 3 connection. Something about moving the SSD to a different sata port messed up the windows boot manager causing the system board to keep defaulting the boot order due to repeated boot failures (somehow manually selecting the drive bypassed whatever was causing the problem). Rebuilt the Boot sector MBR and BCD from the windows install disk and the issue resolved. So I guess I can just keep using the USB 3 connection. Previous configuration had all my drives in the external bay including the SSD with the OS mostly because I was lazy and wanted easy access instead of having to open the case if something went wrong.

Edited by mikeloeven, 06 June 2018 - 10:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users