Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clone bootable NVMe Win 10 x64

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 theungod

theungod

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

I'm having a heck of time getting this thing to boot.  A 500GB Samsung Evo 960 Nvme drive.  I have the Samsung EVO driver installed.  All my systems are updated; BIOS, windows, drivers, etc. through the HP Updater.  This computer is brand new, all I've done is install all my software.  My goal was to then clone the drive to an NVME I bought, and use the HDD as storage.  I've tried the Samsung migration software, EaseUS, and Macrium, hoping one of them would do what the other couldn't - clone the drive and make it boot.

I'm on an HP 580-137c ... here are the specs... https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05686933

The cloning goes well, but when I turn off the computer, remove the cables from the HDD and restart... I get stuck in a boot loop on the HP logo for a few cycles until it inevitably goes to a  Recovery "Your PC couldn't start properly" screen.  After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs to be repaired. Error code 0xc0000001

I used the Macrium 'boot fix' USB drive tool and that didn't help.  The BIOS show the NVME is the first (and only) drive in the boot sequence.  I have tried with Legacy disabled and enabled, I have tried with Secure Boot disabled and enabled.  I tinkered with it so much my original HDD wouldn't boot and I had to use the Macrium USB on it to fix it, which is how I'm on this forum now.

I'm usually really good with computers... but... I feel like I've read every forum on the internet about installing these, and tried every solution put forth... however none have this specific issue - rebooting at the HP logo screen and then eventually failing to this blue error.  I'm downloading the Windows 10 installation media tool now, hoping I can maybe use it to repair the NVME.  Or at this point, do a fresh install on it, but I'd hate to lose the 300 GB of programs I've already spent days installing.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:31 PM

Yeah you may need a reinstall, got a backup medium like a external drive?

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2018 - 10:42 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 theungod

theungod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:00 PM

I have an external, yes.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

Well that's good to hear do you have another USB thumb drive? Because if you do and you have another computer we may be in business to backup your files from your current Drive without needing windows. Ever hear of Linux? If not that's fine but if you have more than one USB thumb drive and more than one computer to work with then we may be able to pull the files off your current Drive without losing them during the Windows reinstall process using a Linux live image always comes in handy for this sort of thing in my experience

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2018 - 11:11 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 theungod

theungod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:41 PM

No...I only have one computer. I have multiple USB though. Maybe an image would work instead of clone?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:48 PM

Well it's worth a try at the very least I mean sometimes yes this can happen with clone software

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 theungod

theungod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:57 AM

I tried a repair with a windows 10 usb to no avail. The only thing left to do was install windows. So I used diskpart to clean the nvme, made the disk active, rebooted. Attempted to install windows, saw partition 0 and partition 1. Windows would not install, said it was a recovery partition. Deleted all partitions and tried again. It worked. Windows 10 now boots. Just have to reinstall 300gb of software from my external now... ugh...

I wish the clone method would have worked.

Edited by theungod, 30 May 2018 - 08:58 AM.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

Yeah that sucks, sometimes this happens sadly

Proud Vivaldi user.