Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse stops working, ctrl-alt-del and cancel enables it to function

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CW Ivy

CW Ivy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

Using 10 32 bit with 4 gb, mouse would not click, scroll or select so I figured I was hitting the memory limits...  moved from 4gb to 16gb, installed version 1803 of 10, 64 bit.  System sees all memory but with several tabs open, the problem has persisted. I can continue to work but every few minutes, I must ctrl-alt-del, hit cancel twice, desktop comes back and I can continue to function for a while...  any ideas??   Thanks, Charlie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 harsushi

harsushi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

Same issue for me, too.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

Is this a corded mouse or a wireless mouse? What brand? Are your drivers up to date? You said that if you hit a certain key pattern then your desktop comes back, what does that mean and how does that relate to your mouse? Does the wallpaper on your desktop disappear or just some of the apps that you are running disappear? How does the desktop disappear?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 harsushi

harsushi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

Hello Rocky,

It is a corded mouse (Genius brand). Drivers are up to date. The desktop just freezes on the current tab, the click function stops, and the mouse is like auto mode, scrolling everywhere, until I press alt+cntrl+del and hit Cancel to restore normalcy.

#5 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:28 PM

Type "device Manager" in the search box.go into device manager, find "mice and other pointing devices" double click on it.. right click on your mouse and select "uninstall" ...unplug the mouse. Turn the computer off. Plug in the mouse, turn on the computer... Windows should automatically re-install the new mouse driver. 

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

Hi, press the win + r keys together, in the run dialogue box type:- 

cmd (next, press ctrl+shift+enter) an elevated cmd prompt will open.

Copy the below cmd and right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter.

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}" /s > 0 & notepad 0

Please post the notepad output here, this shows the device settings in the registry, we are concerned with any upper or lower filters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users