Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to **PERMANENTLY** Disable Touch Screen?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KbobsDaddy

KbobsDaddy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5559 with the touch screen. A few weeks ago, it started up with the annoying "ghost touch" phenomenon, making the machine nearly unusable. There is no physical damage to the screen. I have spent more time than I care to admit Googling solutions. The most common answer I find is to disable it through Device Manager. Here's the history of my attempts to solve this.

1. At first, the "HID Compliant Touch Screen" did not show up in Device Manager.
  2. I had to select "show hidden devices" to find it.
  3. Once I found it, I right clicked "Disable Device" and confirmed the command.
  4. Everything was good for a day.
  5. When I brought the PC back from sleep, the ghost touches were back.
  6. Repeat steps 1 through 3.
  7. Solved the problem for about 10 minutes. Then ghost touches returned,

I've been doing the "disable device" dance now for about three weeks, and I'm growing very tired of it. Someone please tell me that there is a way to make this problem go away for good! It has taken me abut 30 minutes to write this post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:19 PM

Since you have found it in Device manager, have you tried uninstalling the drivers ?  This might work although, if it is like mice, keyboards and USB drivers, it might just re-install itself as and when you re-boot. If that fails, and I suspect it will, I think you arre going to have to modify the registry entries for the touch screen. And that is an area where I have no experience at all.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,791 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

Something, and that something really shouldn't be Windows itself, is re-enabling the device.  I've dealt with computers with touch screens whose digitizers have gone wonky and to a one disabling the HID compliant touchscreen permanently disables it.

The fact that this came back after waking up from sleep makes me very, very suspicious of some sort of infection, but it's purely a suspicion.  Digitizers do go wonky, but devices virtually never re-enable themselves after being manually disabled, and that should be across all future shutdown/startup, restart, sleep, or hibernate cycles.

You could also try following the instructions for 

to see if something is corrupted in the OS first.  If you have a spare monitor around somewhere with a connection you could use (e.g. HDMI or VGA) to set it up as a secondary screen "for the duration of diagnostics" and using only the second screen it might give you some respite from the insanity until you can figure out how to get rid of it entirely.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 KbobsDaddy

KbobsDaddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Since you have found it in Device manager, have you tried uninstalling the drivers ?  This might work although, if it is like mice, keyboards and USB drivers, it might just re-install itself as and when you re-boot. If that fails, and I suspect it will, I think you arre going to have to modify the registry entries for the touch screen. And that is an area where I have no experience at all.

Chris Cosgrove

Yes, I did try uninstalling, but they mysteriously come back after a few minutes.

One detail I failed to mention in the O.P. is that this behavior started a couple of weeks after I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new hard drive. I was not able to find the correct drivers on the Dell site, yet Device manager says the correct drivers are installed.

Edited by KbobsDaddy, 29 May 2018 - 07:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users