Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a question about SSD + HD combos, when you buy a computer.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 legaiaflame

legaiaflame

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

Okay I'm thinking about buying a computer that has both a SSD and a HD in one. It comes with both the SSD and HD. The SSD is 250GB and the HD is a 1T SATA Drive. The main drive the computer will use for the OS will be the SSD. So, my question is:

If I completely use up the SSD, with the computer automatically switch over and start saving data on the regular HD? Or is there some weird thing or setting I have to do, to switch to the HD once the SSD is used up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

Usually its best to use the larger drive to store your files and programs/apps.

With windows 10 you can assign programs/apps to install on your large hard drive as opposed to the SSD.

For me all of my apps and files are on my HDD leaving the SSD only for the OS.

Really there is hardly anything installed on my SDD, just the base OS and a dualboot of linux but i store all my apps/programs and files on my larger hard drive.

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2018 - 05:00 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

In addition to Madman's post:

The SSD is intended to contain your operating system. When you install a program, install to the SATA drive. Note that this does not mean that all the installed files required for the program to run are on the SATA; in actuality, most programs insist on installing files to the C:\ partition which is on your SSD. This is good, because your programs will load and run much faster if on the same main partition as your OS. However, you will save a lot of space if you instruct your programs to save data to the SATA drive.

For example: you are a graphic artist and you are working on a project. Everyone knows that music and graphics (including video work) take large amounts of storage. So, when saving your files, you initially save a new project to the SATA. Now, every time you save as you go, it will save to the SATA instead of the SSD. That saves huge amounts of space on your SSD.
Actually, the difference in price between a 250gig SSD and a 500gig is pennies, realistically.  Right now Amazon & Newegg have 500gig SSDs for around $130, and a 250 is only a few bucks less. False economy to go small.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

I agree, 500gb SSD's are getting cheaper almost everyday now. Just get a 500gb SSD and you do not have to worry about saving space, Excluding large video files and stuff like that. If your going with doing video files then a 2 or 3 tb platter drive will suit that need

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users