Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Mate 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5166x

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Did a clean install of 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver 64-bit and the results were almost the same. 

You should have run SeaTools first, why would you install to a damaged drive?  Try to Repair the drive and see what the outcome is, if it's bad just get another drive.

Is this going to be your Main PC?

I'll do the texts and recomendations some day this week.

No need to hurry, just run SeaTools and see how that goes.

Right now I need to try saving a CPU, and my poor knowledge about installing, checking, enabling, desabling and preparing the BIOS for a USB install made me think I was reading some chinese dialect (what I read in Ubuntu forums). 

Not sure what you mean here, I guess you are trying to Upgrade the CPU on this laptop?  "saving a CPU"?  The CPU can just be reinstalled and your done, if it is compatible...should be fine.

I guess you are talking about UEFI? hmm.  Most computers have a Temporary Boot Option that you can use, but I'm not familiar with Toshiba.  This way you don't have to go into the BIOS, but just choose the Temp Boot Options.  That being said, I don't think this laptop is UEFI is it?

Here is the Toshiba Link and the directions to access the Temp Boot Screen on page 76, same as below.

To recover your internal storage drive from recovery DVDs/media:
1 Make sure your computer is turned off.

2 Do one of the following:
❖ If your recovery files are on DVDs, insert the first recovery
DVD into your optical disc drive.
❖ If your recovery files are on a USB flash drive, connect the
USB flash drive to your computer.

3 Turn on your computer. When the initial TOSHIBA screen
displays, press the F12 key on your keyboard.
The boot menu displays.

4 Using the arrow keys, select the DVD option or the USB Flash
option, depending on which type of media you are using, and
then press the Enter key.

Enjoy, and get that thing up and running with that Bionic Beaver!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:53 PM

You should have run SeaTools first, why would you install to a damaged drive?  Try to Repair the drive and see what the outcome is, if it's bad just get another drive.

Is this going to be your Main PC? No need to hurry, just run SeaTools and see how that goes.

I guess you are talking about UEFI? hmm.  Most computers have a Temporary Boot Option that you can use, but I'm not familiar with Toshiba.  This way you don't have to go into the BIOS, but just choose the Temp Boot Options.  That being said, I don't think this laptop is UEFI is it?

Enjoy, and get that thing up and running with that Bionic Beaver!

1) Yes, I'll try to recover the drive.

2) No, Toshiba is not going to be my main PC. I don't like laps, use 'em in emergency time (like right now).

3) Right, Toshiba isn't UEFI. Was talking about the "box" I received after. I just started  a topic about the Dual UEFI Bios CSM Legacy one.

#48 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:54 PM

SeaTools for DOS couldn't even find a device for this piece of junk, looks brand new, but inside must be a death on two legs.

A waste of time I guess. Still working (How ???) but I suppose its days are numbered. That'd be my little knowledge guess.

Cheers.

#49 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,337 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:17 AM

Unfortunately my experience with this is limited, but from what you've posted on the outcome of smartmontools we already determined the drive was bad so let's just move on LOL.

It counted 137 sectors to be reallocated or remapped.

Now you've learned when you get these old computers there is usually a reason you got them...for free most likely.  Always test everything with Linux Live Session, and before Installing Test the HDD.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users