Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Mate 14.04 on a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5166x

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

Hi, long time since I posted here.

This cutie, as far as I know, hasn't been used in 3 or 4 years. 4 GB memory, 4 processor INTEL core i5.

Used the Toshiba full recovery utility to take it to its ancient state, but it was still unbearable to the point of being an awful joke.

Couple of days ago I installed Ubuntu Mate 14.04 64 bits erasing Windows, of course, 'cause my own PC went south.

Thing is, it's still a slow one, it works but I was thinking that maybe Ubuntu Mate 64 bits wasn't the best choice for it.

Like it "thinks" too much while doing 2 or 3 things at the same time. Don't know if it could be a hardware thing ... or Ubuntu Mate ...

Any recommendation would be welcome. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:02 PM

How old is that hardware?

You may be better off with xubuntu 18.04 64bit

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

Hi Madman, thanks for the reply. Don't know exactly when it was made, I'd say six or seven years, this lap had legal Windows 7 Home Premium.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Any information on the hardware?
I mean if you don't have it that's fine I can look it up I almost didn't notice the model number in the title LOL

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2018 - 03:37 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:37 PM

Hi, long time since I posted here.

This cutie, as far as I know, hasn't been used in 3 or 4 years. 4 GB memory, 4 processor INTEL core i5.

Used the Toshiba full recovery utility to take it to its ancient state, but it was still unbearable to the point of being an awful joke.

Couple of days ago I installed Ubuntu Mate 14.04 64 bits erasing Windows, of course, 'cause my own PC went south.

Thing is, it's still a slow one, it works but I was thinking that maybe Ubuntu Mate 64 bits wasn't the best choice for it.

Like it "thinks" too much while doing 2 or 3 things at the same time. Don't know if it could be a hardware thing ... or Ubuntu Mate ...

Any recommendation would be welcome. Thanks for your help.

You should try a more modern OS, like Ubuntu Mate 18.04 or something from the last couple of years at least.

That kernel has already reached the end of life and the entire OS will soon reach end of life.

https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Well for all intensive purposes based on my research you could actually just up that Ram to its Max of 8 gigabytes so you could actually make this work a little bit better. You got a good processor actually fairly good specs so I don't see the reason why you have to use Ubuntu mate

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

@Rocky :

"You have 37 packages (2.1%) supported until abril 2019 (Community - 5y)
You have 1425 packages (80.9%) supported until abril 2019 (Canonical - 5y)

You have 10 packages (0.6%) that can not/no-longer be downloaded
You have 290 packages (16.5%) that are unsupported

Your Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE) is supported until abril 2019.
Run with --show-unsupported, --show-supported or --show-all to see more details"

Yeah, was thinking about the upgrade to UM 18.04, but had those doubts about how it'd work out.

@ Madman :

Model N° PSK1WU - 005004

Serial N° 3B050412W

#8 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

Sorry for the double post, shows that it "moves like a turtle".

Edited by Terokal, 29 May 2018 - 03:53 PM.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

Do you have any spare USB drives? Any DVDs you can burn? You can easily make a new install media

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

@ Madman : Yeah, can easily burn a dvd or usb installer.

Have been using Ubuntu Mate for 2 or 3 years on my (now deceased peace of junk PC) so I'm kinda used to it. That's why I went for the easy distro.

You'd go for another distro ? or as Rocky says upgrading Ubuntu Mate can be a solution?

Edited by Terokal, 29 May 2018 - 04:09 PM.

#11 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

Well for all intensive purposes based on my research you could actually just up that Ram to its Max of 8 gigabytes so you could actually make this work a little bit better. You got a good processor actually fairly good specs so I don't see the reason why you have to use Ubuntu mate

Would be awesome to do that, if only I'd know how to ... not a very "I-know-how-to" user, ya know, LOL. But first I'll upgrade the OS. I'll see how it works and return to let you know. Thanks.

Edited by Terokal, 29 May 2018 - 04:14 PM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

Well considering that yes Ubuntu 14.04 it is getting old now it would be better off for you to get a newer version. There are few things you can do and all these are good ideas. Either you can wait for Linux Mint 19 which is hopefully going to come out by next month, use kubuntu 18.04 as that is actually a very good distribution and should be good for your Hardware or you could use manjaro. Manjaro is actually fairly easy if only a few hiccups here and there such as installing Google Chrome but it can be done
Well considering that yes Ubuntu 14.04 it is getting old now it would be better off for you to get a newer version. There are few things you can do and all these are good ideas. Either you can wait for Linux Mint 19 which is hopefully going to come out by next month, use kubuntu 18.04 as that is actually a very good distribution and should be good for your Hardware or you could use manjaro. Manjaro is actually fairly easy if only a few hiccups here and there such as installing Google Chrome but it can be done.

As for upgrading your RAM it should be very easy to do on those older laptops there's probably a access hatch of some kind on the bottom so you can get inside your machine and upgrade the RAM. Usually upgrading Ram is dead simple no technical expertise whatsoever needed that is of course you can actually get to the memory units

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2018 - 04:15 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

OK, I'll follow yer recommendations and be right back. Manjaro sounds cool.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Well if you do take my ram upgrade suggestion your Max Ram is 8 gigabytes DDR3 1333

Would be very viable, its still good hardware just may need some help

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2018 - 04:25 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,259 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

I don't understand the thinking here, as Madman says you need RAM, but if the RAM is not through the roof as you are accomplishing those tasks then the slowness is not the RAM?  But from your description it very well could be the RAM with enough high ram usage programs open.  Swapping out the distro ain't going to help anything in theory if you are not Overusing the RAM.  I just hate to see folks wasting time and drive life swapping out operating systems when the operating system is not the issue.

That's old hardware and will only do so much.  That being said, it's not bad hardware and should run decent.  You should test things one at a time so you know the RAM is not the issue.  Then ask yourself if they are acceptable running one at a time.  Also, Mate should run well on that pc.  I've been using Mint's Xfce lately due to issues with Mint Mate, and it will be perfect for old machines like this.

Open the System Monitor and set it to be on top and watch it while you are running these programs.

Also, What things are you using all at the same time?  If you are careful 4GB will work fine but admittedly is a little limited.

All that being said, you should check the HDD for errors.  That's the first thing that goes on any computer, and this computer is getting old.  If that is the original HDD, there is a good chance that is had some bad sectors etc., hopefully not.

I'm running an Intel Core i5 2520M on a laptop now, and it's not all that fast either.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users