Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to upgrade my computer I don't know which part to upgrade.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bbshabob

bbshabob

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

So I have played dota 2 on this setup for a few years now however in recent updates it has become totally unbearable I can't afford a new computer so I thought that an update might suffice.

Below is all the information that I know how to provide if you guys need anymore or need clarification on something just ask. my question is simply what inexpensive change or changes could I make to upgrade this computer.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FhDniq9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

Okay your screenshots do nothing for us, is this a desktop or laptop?

Do you have a model number?

For a better evaluation of your hardware please use speccy and give us your screenshot of it.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

How to post a screenshot:

https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/publishing-a-speccy-profile-to-the-web

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 bbshabob

bbshabob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

Okay your screenshots do nothing for us, is this a desktop or laptop?

Do you have a model number?

For a better evaluation of your hardware please use speccy and give us your screenshot of it.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

How to post a screenshot:

https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/publishing-a-speccy-profile-to-the-web

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Here's the speccy

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mVBiohUOZBdjKogpzUpLUwl

It's a desktop as for the model number I googled it tried some stuff and I was unable to find one for my computer.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

I take it this is not a OEM (its not a HP or a dell or anything right?) as those parts dont seem to be standard fare.

Is this some sort of custom build?

Do you have any idea about the case it uses?

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2018 - 02:13 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 bbshabob

bbshabob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

I take it this is not a OEM as those parts dont seem to be standard fare.

Is this some sort of custom build?

Do you have any idea about the case it uses?

It was a pre made but I made a change with the graphics card I am currently searching for the original model now once I find it I i will have more information on the case.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Take your time, make sure to take photos of the machine both inside and out and post them here via services like imgur just in case you cant find any model info.

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2018 - 02:19 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 bbshabob

bbshabob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

Take your time, make sure to take photos of the machine both inside and out and post them here via services like imgur just in case you cant find any model info.

Hey sorry but I couldn't find the make and model

I took some pictures and will keep looking

https://imgur.com/gallery/5mgTf1r

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Okay so generic case then.

Well seeing what you have here it may be in your best interest to get a new machine, that is if you dont feel you can build one on your own.

Your hardware is quite old, upgrading the processor is not going to do and i dont think adding things like RAM will help too much.

As a gaming machine this is sadly past its prime, now if you made it into some sort of home theater PC that would be fine but games will only begin to get worse from this time forward.

The only reason why I wanted to see the case is to see if there was a way to mod it for more modern hardware but its not going to do a lot of good.

The only parts worth saving from this are the hard drive and the optical drive and the latter almost being rendered useless on more modern computer cases.

Its got a no name brand PSU too so there is not much to do here.

I mean yeah it sucks but it happens, games like DOTA 2 can be very intensive these days.

I mean you could make this a linux machine it will be wonderful but as a gaming rig alas.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 bbshabob

bbshabob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:50 PM

Okay so generic case then.

Well seeing what you have here it may be in your best interest to get a new machine, that is if you dont feel you can build one on your own.

Your hardware is quite old, upgrading the processor is not going to do and i dont think adding things like RAM will help too much.

As a gaming machine this is sadly past its prime, now if you made it into some sort of home theater PC that would be fine but games will only begin to get worse from this time forward.

The only reason why I wanted to see the case is to see if there was a way to mod it for more modern hardware but its not going to do a lot of good.

The only parts worth saving from this are the hard drive and the optical drive and the latter almost being rendered useless on more modern computer cases.

Its got a no name brand PSU too so there is not much to do here.

I mean yeah it sucks but it happens, games like DOTA 2 can be very intensive these days.

I mean you could make this a linux machine it will be wonderful but as a gaming rig alas.

Ok well thanks for your help, but I am afraid I will never be able to afford that.

Guess I'll have to hang up the mouse and keyboard for the next few years thanks. :)

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:52 PM

Well its not a total loss, sure it may be done with gaming but its not done for media content consumption.

Its still good for amazon, hulu, youtube and whatever else.

Plus its still good for emulators

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2018 - 02:55 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

I can't afford a new computer so I thought that an update might suffice.

Affordability. I admit I have no clue as to what you can or can not afford. Perhaps you're thinking that you would have to spend some really big $$ to get something respectable. That's not always the case. The guys over at PCWorld managed to assemble an 8th-generation Intel machine with discrete graphics for under $400. Maybe that would be affordable. Regardless have a look at the links below.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3276267/computers/watch-us-build-a-360-intel-based-gaming-pc.html#tk.rss_all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFV5V3AoCDY

The YouTube video starts out in poor quality B&W then at about 7 minutes & 6 seconds into it they get to the actual assembly & the video changes to quality color. Worthy of a watch.  At the very least you'll come away knowing that breaking the bank isn't always necessary.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

Indeed, and again its still decent as a machine, just rather poor at gaming right now.

Again it will make a nice media machine or linux box.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

If it was me, I would consider upping memory to 8 Gb and replacing the CPU with a second hand Core 2 Quad (e.g. a Q9550).  I've seen Q9550's go for around $30 on eBay.  Shop around for a used 2 x 4 Gb DDR2 6400 kit.

These are the supported processors - https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/DG41CN.pdf

I agree that this is an old computer, but if this can be done for very little money, then it will give a significant performance boost.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users