Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a satellite unit on a mesh home wifi system be used to set up a network?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Antwill

Antwill

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:44 PM

I am moving my office to my home and the internet comes in in my basement and my office will be on the second floor.

I know that one has to connect the computer that is used as the server directly to the wireless router to set up the network. 

My question is if in a mesh system a satellite with an ethernet port could be used to connect to the server computer to set up a network or does one have to connect the server computer to the wireless router that is connected directly to the internet?

Hope that makes sense.  Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Antwill

Antwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

Bueller? Bueller?

#3 Antwill

Antwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

C'mon, people! Throw me a frickin' bone, here!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

It is a little confusing exactly what your trying to accomplish. I think your trying to connect your computer on the second floor with the internet that enters in the basement. The easiest option is to use a Powerline Adapter. One plugs into an outlet in the basement one plugs into an outlet on the second floor and they send network communications over household wiring. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Antwill

Antwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

It is a little confusing exactly what your trying to accomplish. I think your trying to connect your computer on the second floor with the internet that enters in the basement. The easiest option is to use a Powerline Adapter. One plugs into an outlet in the basement one plugs into an outlet on the second floor and they send network communications over household wiring. 

Thanks for the reply.  I am not just trying to get a computer on the internet.

I am moving my office into my home.  I currently have a network set up in my current office with three computers (two laptops and a desktop) and two printers.  The desktop is acting as the server  My understanding is that in order to set up a network, you have to have the computer that is acting as the server connected via an ethernet cable to the main wireless router.  Since my internet is coming in in my basement, I don't want the desktop computer that is acting as the server to be in the basement where the wireless router is currently.  I want it to be in my office on the second story.  So, I was wondering if my desktop computer could be connected to one of the satellites rather than the main wireless router in order to set up a network.  Or, do I need to move where my internet is coming into my home up to my office?

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:17 PM

The "Server" needs to be on the same network as the computers accessing it. It does not necessarily need to be plugged directly into the "Main Router", if you are unable to connect it with a wireless adapter that could pose a problem. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Antwill

Antwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

The "Server" needs to be on the same network as the computers accessing it. It does not necessarily need to be plugged directly into the "Main Router", if you are unable to connect it with a wireless adapter that could pose a problem. 

Thanks!

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:29 PM

Your Welcome!

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer