Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Integrated mobo network adapter failure

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Imenand

Imenand

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

I am running a msi h61m-p31/w8 mobo on Win 10. I have obtained the adapter software from the MSI homepage and alternatively tried the version from Realteks mainpage.

The issue is very odd. One day I started up my desktop only to find that the internet was not functioning. After some tinkering I discovered that the ethernet adapter for my pc Realtek PCIe GbE family controller was not listed in device manager. A network and BIOS reset later, I have managed to return the adapter to my device manager, where it will stop working after 2-3 minutes of connectivity. The only way I can find that restores functionality in the device is to reinstall the realtek drivers through the exe, where I will promptly achieve connectivity again for a few minutes before the driver stops functioning. Whether I remove the driver or repair it, the same thing occurs. 

The adapter is listed on the device manager after it stops working, nothing is listed as functioning incorrectly. 

After many hours of research into this topic I am begining to believe that rather than anything software related, my adapter on my MOBO is somehow damaged and I will need to replace it. 

Any advice or troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated as i am starting to be at a loss as to what the issue could possibly be. (Also apologies if this is not the right forum. 

Update 1: I have also noticed that sometimes if not always, a simple restart will restore connectivity for the few minute period.

Update 2: Strangely if I stubbornly persist in this process of install/uninstall/repair, the adapter will sometimes function for longer periods of a few hours before going out. I noticed that when the PC would fall asleep, this would immediately terminate functionality. Thinking this could be an issue of power to my adapter I have double checked the power management settings and the adapter is not set to turn off to save power.

Update 3: Sometimes but not always when the adapter fails, it will attempt to restart and reconnect - this always fails. 

More about : integrated network card device failure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

network cards are so cheap these days i would just go out and buy one

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

Iv'e seen a lot of Network Adapter issues with Windows 10. Before purchasing a new adapter you could boot a live linux disk. Access the internet in Linux and see how long your connection lasts. If the internet is stable then you know something is going on with Windows 10. 

But, the first thing I would attempt on Windows 10 is a Network Reset. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues

If that does not help then download Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD. Boot to the desktop. Access the internet. The Ethernet driver should be included in the linux kernel.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

#4 Imenand

Imenand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for the assistance! 
Ive tried multiple windows network resets, it helps reliably re-establish connectivity for a while. Usually longer than by other methods, yet over time the connection always dies. 

Ill try booting linux by USB later tonight/tomorrow morning to see if that helps, would be nice to isolate the problem to win 10. I also noticed that realtek had updated their ethernet drivers recently (the 18th) and I am thinking that it could potentially be an issue with the latest version conflicting. Will post results soon. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

If Realtek has updated drivers I would install those and see how the computer acts. If it solves the problem you can disable Windows 10 auto driver update feature.

#6 Imenand

Imenand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

Sorry I wasnt specific enough, I am using the current version of Realteks drivers in my reinstalls. Perhaps I should try to rollback though? 

Edited by Imenand, 29 May 2018 - 01:20 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

You can try a rollback. I'm not sure it would help though. I don't know if you have done all the steps in the link but maybe it will help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

I have found that on some boards with Windows 10, that Energy Efficient Ethernet will cause the ethernet to continuously drop out and back in. By disabling EEE in the Ethernet Connection Property Box under the Advanced tab, you can un check that option and see if your internet stays stable

#9 Imenand

Imenand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

I have completed all the steps as far as I am able.

Finished the network troubleshooter section up to the point of IP config, as my cable while in with the LEDs light is not recognized once the internet drops. 

Rollback only succeeded in proving internet for a few minutes. Same happens when I use the stock microsoft driver. 
Updating didnt work obviously
Disabled firewalls and AV for the heck of it. 
attempted the uninstall restart sequence a lot to no avail as i mention in OP. 
Network reset grants internet for a few minutes 
Energy Efficient ethernet method actually made the internet drop at the same moment as doing it twice but not the third time, I suspect its probably coincidence. 

Thanks for all the help guys. 

Edited by Imenand, 29 May 2018 - 02:27 PM.

#10 Imenand

Imenand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

I am thinking the error might just be software related? Because if I just stick on device manager and switch between versions while plugging the cable in and out, I gain internet for a few minutes before it drops. Does anyone know if the adapter would behave this way if the port was damaged? 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

Personally, I don't know if this could be related to a damaged RJ-45 port. I forgot to ask but have you tried changing out the Ethernet cable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users