Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use my USB drive - "This disk is write protected."

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 duzap

duzap

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

I have a USB drive that I can't delete anything from it or write to it. I can't format it as well. Any action I am trying to do, an error will pop up and say "This disk is write protected".

I tried to fix it with diskpart by clearing the attributes from the disk, no luck.
There's no physical switch on the USB drive.

Do you have any suggestions how to remove this annoying write protection?

Edited by duzap, 29 May 2018 - 10:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

This can happen for two reasons, 

The USB is counterfeit in that the flash drive has an advertised large capacity and it's very inexpensive. Once the data is attempted to written past the real limit the drive because write protected.

The USB drive detects a hardware fault and becomes write protected. If this only happens to this one drive there is nothing that can be done other than possibly flashing the firmware if one it even available.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

Have you tried a Linux based distro such as Hirens or Dban that run from the DVD drive?  Just be super-careful not to accidentally nuke your main C:\\ drive. Maybe unplug other drives and leave only the flash drive plugged in. Or maybe Aomei Partition editor which you can install on your main HDD.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users