Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are some good second opinion scanners?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xeaq

Xeaq

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:55 AM

I'm sure there are already a lot of posts asking about this but I haven't really seen any that tell what they do and what they're good at. Eg. Their weaknesses and strengths, if they are destructive when removing viruses or if they can still keep the infected program intact when removing the virus.
I have Malwarebytes and McAfee (I forgot and was too lazy to switch the AV program when it asked if I wanted to renew the subscription.)
McAfee is generally been known as being bad but I've also heard that it detects malware really poorly. I have seen it quarantine a lot of false positives but does is it really have a significantly worse detection ratio than other scanners? When I checked online it has gotten an improved malware scanning engine and apparently had a really good detection ratio but how true is that?
From what I know Malwarebytes is just good at detecting PUPs but has gotten worse at detecting other types of malware.
I'm just looking for something that's good at detecting malware and isn't too destructive when removing them (Unless that isn't really a problem).
It doesn't have to be meant to be a second opinion scanner as long as it works alongside other scanners and can be used as a second opinion scanner.
How badly do I need a second opinion scanner and which one(s) would you recommend?
Sorry if some things I said don't make sense since I don't know that much about this stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools to supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion:Many of these tools are stand-alone applications by themselves or contained within zipped files...meaning they require no installation so after extraction, they can be copied to and run from usb drives.

You can also supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan. ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Xeaq

Xeaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

Thank you!
Those are pretty long lists so which one would you recommend/what do you use yourself?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

From that list, I would recommend any (or a combination) of these...Emsisoft AntiMalware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Malwarebytes 3.0, Zemana AntiMalware, RogueKiller Anti-malware and the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Xeaq

Xeaq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •