Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Recovery Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dianev

dianev

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:57 AM

After trying all the internal methods of restarting/restoring my pc I found that my recovery drive D: was infected by the RAPID virus. Now that drive has been rendered completely useless for recovery. The main drive C: was not infected at all so I'm still able to gain access to all my personal files and perform other functions, such as browse the internet, problem-free. I can still get into safe mode, load the BIOS, run diagnostics, etc.  However, I can't use any of the recovery drive options or access the recovery menu in windows (F-11 key at bootup). I can't create a recovery drive, refresh or reinstall windows, anything to do with system recovery. I don't even have any system restore points to fall back on. It also affected my ablity to use a bootable USB drive to reinstall windows. My computer doesn't recognize my external drive even though it has priority in the BIOS and the USB is properly formatted).There's also a problem running DOS commands (such as bootrec) as required files are missing (doesn't specify which files) or nothing happens when I press Enter (no error messages).

Instead of using a bootable USB, data recovery software, or partition manager because I can't restore the missing, deleted, or corrupted files from recovery D: drive back into the same drive, is there a third-party software that can repair the recovery drive without having to turn off or restart the pc or boot up through an external drive? A program that can be installed and run within windows and just fix the corrupted partition, or a program to create a new recovery drive while windows is running? Any type of fix/repair other than DOS commands or reintalling windows through a USB drive.

Replacing the hard drive at this time is not an option. I need alternative solutions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

From what I have read Rapid is Ransomware. Are all the files in the partition encrypted? How did you determine the Recovery Partition had this infection. 

There is no software that can do what you want. If the computer is OEM and was pre-installed with 8 or 8.1 the key is in firmware and you could do a clean install using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable DVD. Can you boot from a DVD?

If you are absolutely sure the Recovery partition is infected you could delete the partition with Partition Wizard and expand your System Partition into the unallocated space. 

In place of a Recovery Partition you could create a complete disk image of your current setup to a USB external drive using one of the following programs. All allow you to create a rescue CD or USB flash drive allowing you to recover the image from the USB external.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

#3 dianev

dianev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

I was looking at my recovery drive files/folders when I found out I couldn't use the recovery options and saw the .rapid extension. There were no other files on C: with the same extension. As I said before, booting from a USB is impossible. 

If you are absolutely sure the Recovery partition is infected you could delete the partition with Partition Wizard and expand your System Partition into the unallocated space. 

This seems like something I could try. What are the steps using the Partition Wizard. I'm not familiar with this program or method.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 (x64) (build 9600)
Installed: 3/11/2018 12:32:33 AM
Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot

System Model
Hewlett-Packard HP Split 13 x2 Detachable PC Type1ProductConfigId
Enclosure Type: Notebook

Processor a
1.50 gigahertz Intel Core i3-4012Y
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)

Main Circuit Board b
Board: Hewlett-Packard 22A4 69.47
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: Insyde F.17 01/13/2015

Drives
499.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
328.96 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Memory Modules c,d
4028 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'Bottom-Slot 1(left)' has 2048 MB
Slot 'Bottom-Slot 2(right)' has 2048 MB

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 476.72 GB 306.74 GB free 
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 22.29 GB 22.22 GB free 
* Operating System is installed on c:

Network Drives
None detected

Controllers
Standard SATA AHCI Controller

Display
Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
Generic PnP Monitor (13.0"vis)

Bus Adapters
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)

Other Devices
Headphones (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Microphone (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Speakers (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
GPIO Laptop or Slate Indicator Driver
HID-compliant touch screen
HID-compliant vendor-defined device (3x)
I2C HID Device (3x)
HP TrueVision Full HD
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

You do not need to boot from a USB when creating the disk image. You can create the disk image from Windows and if the computer no longer boots you can boot from a DVD of the imaging software.

Because the computer has Windows 8.1 SecureBoot is enabled by default. You would never be able to boot a USB unless it was Windows 8 or Windows 10. HP allows you to boot legacy USB devices, those that do not have the SecureBoot certificate, by tapping F9 at boot.  This will bring up a boot menu where you would select the USB device you wish to boot. For bootable iso's use Rufus.

Something that may prevent booting from a USB is the UEFI setting of Quickboot/Fastboot. Those should be disabled in your UEFI settings. 

In regards to Partition Wizard. Download and install. Run the Program. Select the Recovery Partition. Delete the Partition. Click Apply. You can then resize the C: partition into the unallocated space left behind by the deleted Recovery Partition.

https://www.minitool.com/help-pw/delete-partition.html

https://www.minitool.com/help-pw/resize-partition.html

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users