Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File name problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sceadugenga

sceadugenga

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:34 AM

I was messing around with an epub file (graphic novel) trying to change it to a file that could be read on a comic reader.

When I looked, all of my epub files (many thousands had changed to ComicRack files.

For example:

(epub icon)gone with the wind.epub

is now

(comicrack icon)gone with the wind.comicrack

I need to get this back to what it was.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:33 AM

Are they together in a single folder? I think the simplest way to achieve that would be to open a command prompt in the folder and type REN *.comicrack *.epub

What OS version are you using?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:24 AM

They are not even in the same drives, a large attached external was effected as well.

I finally fixed it with System restore but I'd really like to know what caused it.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,689 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:36 AM

Are you certain all the name extensions actually changed, it wasn't just the file association (hence the icon)?

#5 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

I'm not sure what you mean there, here's a screen shot I took before I fixed it.

When I moved the to my online storage the format description returned to epub.

Capture.png

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,689 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:18 AM

The listing is not set to display file extensions. I think you would have found that the files were still all called .ePub, but had become associated with the ComicRack reader. The type column is showing what application is registered to use that file type.

The file association gets changed if you choose to open a file with a different application, and don't notice you have the option checked to always use that application to open that file type.

System restore would have reversed that, plus whatever else got reversed going back to the last restore point. The proper way to change it would have been to change the file association back to the original reader you were using for ePub books, was it ADE reader? Looks like the icon in your screenshot is for the regular Adobe reader.

Edited by Platypus, 30 May 2018 - 12:19 AM.

#7 sceadugenga

sceadugenga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for that.

Not sure, I deleted the comic reader program and went back to one that I used originally.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,689 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:25 AM

As long as it's all sorted! But it's the kind of problem that can happen when you're just "messing about" with things. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users