Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win7 random bsods

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ysu

ysu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:34 AM

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me out here.  Getting quite a few crashes & BSODs recently (past month or so).  Crashes are mostly happening in browsers (firefox tabs & full program, chrome full program) but other program are crashing at random, too, although somewhat less often.

Windows 7 x64 system, quite old install, survived a couple of hardware migrations, the latest onto an nvme.
I really-really do not want to reinstall, it'd put a huge dent into my ability to work with all tools & settings lost.

I can't recall the exact source, in fact one of my big problems is a lack of a compatible repair CD!  I think it was via the now extinct microsoft developer program whatever it was called.

The current hardware itself is less than a year old, it's currently not overclocked, although I did run some overclock on it without issues for a while.  I had a recent bummer, where my cooler gave in, and the system overheated.  I had to buy & install a crappy temporary cooler.  This whole thing may have had something to do with this all, it has all started around that time.  So there is a chance of a hardware error at the core, in fact I'm really hoping that's the issue; it's quite simple to fix (if I know which bit to replace, that is).

Corsair Carbide 600Q
ASUS Maximus 9 Hero
i7-6700k
NZXT Kraken X62 cooler
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Samsung 960 Evo (nvme)
ZOTAC GTX 1080 TI AMP Extreme
Seasonic Prime 850W Titanium

I've already run memtest+ overnight.  It did not seem to turn up anything.  Will proceed with other tests as recommended.

Many thanks for any help in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2018 - 05:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

Hi. . .

...the latest onto an nvme.

What is an "nvme"?

Please run the jcgriff2/Sysnative app in the BSOD sticky - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Attach the zip file output to your next post. I need the dumps and files.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 ysu

ysu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

NVMe drive, the samsung 960 - it required a 2-step approach, first I've created a regular SSD copy that I could boot in the new computer to install the drivers (they wouldn't install in the old computer) and then migrated onto the 960.

Hm...I did run it and when I started the topic the first thing was I've attached the file.  Weird.  I'll try and attach it again.

Edit: ah, I see now; I've attached it, but did not click the 'attach' button extra.  That caught me out.

Edited by ysu, 29 May 2018 - 05:46 PM.

#4 ysu

ysu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

I'm wondering if anyone been able to find anything out from that file above?

I've run the memory tests again, overnight, and bought a new HDD & replicated the content to be sure (I did not want to run any potentially damaging tests here). 

There is seemingly no problem with memory nor HDD/SSD.  

I've also run through all the things I could update - bios, mobo drivers, gfx drivers.  

Still, the problems persist.

Edited by ysu, 14 June 2018 - 05:45 PM.

#5 ysu

ysu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

Gents it seems it is some kind of hardware deficiency after all.  Playing around with windows 7 installer on a virgin drive and trying different ram combinations (for lack of a better idea), I've achieved stability it seems; half a day gone now w/o a crash or bsod.

Weird that no ram test was giving me any indication of a problem.  But I digress.

Can someone please help me out and remove the file from the first post?  I can't seem to be able to edit the first post anymore.  Thanks.

Mod Edit:  Removed attached file, moved topic from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2018 - 05:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users