Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal hard drives still accessible after being BIOS disabled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maddbassist

maddbassist

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

Hi...I have two internal hard drives that I've disabled in the BIOS but still show when I boot, and are also accessible. Isn't a BIOS disable one of the ways to not have the drives accessible, let alone show? There are things that happen to my computer that make me believe there could be more to this than just hardware, but I'll expand on that if you have an interest in knowing what I mean. Regardless, though I'm no novice to computers, I've never seen this before and would like your input. I don't want to password protect/encrypt the drives if that's not necessary. Seems to me disabling in the BIOS, the drives shouldn't even show in My Computer when I boot, which is a perfect solution, as I rarely use those extra drives. I use them just enough where enabling them in the BIOS when I need them is a perfect solution.

What might say ye?

Thanks ahead.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

If you disable them from the boot order does not mean they will not be recognized. Depends on your bios and your options. If you have an OEM off the shelf pc chances  are you'll be very limited in what you have for bios options compared to a custom built pc. Care to share your specs?

What say you?

Edited by Joe C, 28 May 2018 - 03:34 PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,198 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

That used to work with IDE drives, which had to be initialized by the BIOS to be accessible. The SATA interface is a removable (hotswap) technology, and SATA drives can be recognized by the system as a removable drive, like USB or indeed eSATA, with no need for them to be registered in the BIOS equipment table. As Joe C says, drives disabled in the BIOS won't be viewed as a HDD to boot from, but they can appear as if they are a removable drive that always happens to be plugged in when the system boots up.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 maddbassist

maddbassist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:07 PM

Hey folks...I figure it must be the BIOS. I built this computer a number of years ago, and don't know the motherboard specs. I'll just live with what I have...I was hoping that if you disable the drives in the BIOS, they wouldn't show when you booted up. Thanks for the input. You can close this ticket. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users