Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drop down menu font size too small

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dsteeley

dsteeley

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:10 PM

Hi all, I am running a fully licensed W10 Version 1709 build 16299.192 on a self built desktop PC.  My problem is that I can hardly see the text in drop down menus such as Favorites/bookmarks & dialogue boxes when right clicking the mouse.  This is the same when using Chrome/Office/This PC etc.  I can and have used Ctrl+ to increase the size of documents/web pages so no problem there.  It is just these menus that cause me a problem.  Some 'Personalize' options increase the size of everything which is not what I want, just the text in menus etc.  I have a 27" Acer monitor that allows me to sit slightly further away from the screen than my old 21" but I have to get really close and put on my reading spectacles to read the menu stuff.  I've read that this cannot be done since one particular W10 update, apart from carrying out a registry hack.  Any help out there please.

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

Creator's Update removed the ability to change System Font Sizes. Hopefully this utility helps.

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/system-font-size-changer

Edit:  There is also an advanced version for the visually impaired.

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/advanced-system-font-changer

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 May 2018 - 03:38 PM.

#3 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:34 AM

Hi JohnC, thanks for the info. I'm away from home today so will try when I get back.

Dave

#4 Crayon

Crayon

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:09 AM

If you don't want to change the size of everything on desktop, it's possible to just change the text size for these specific items:  Title bars Menus Message boxes Palette titles Icons Tooltips

Right-click on desktop and select Display settings.  2. Scroll down and tap or click Advanced display settings, click Advanced sizing of text and other items elect the item you want to change in the drop-down list and choose the text size. You also check the box to make it bold.

#5 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:27 AM

To JohnC and Crayon, thank you very much for your suggestions.  I have downloaded WinTips and it cured most of my issues except for the "roll over box" font size on one forum I visit.  This was solved when I tried using Firefox instead of my usual Chrome.

Cheers

Dave

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

WinAero Tweaker is another 3rd party tool that allows the fine-grained control over fonts and font sizes for various things (and a number of other tweaks as well) in the Windows UI as Windows itself once did.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

Thanks Brian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users