Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded to v1803 and now cannot see other computers on network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grogsailor

grogsailor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

Before the v 1803 update, I had three computers on the network and had shared drives contained on those computers.  This allowed me to copy/delete/move files between all the computers.  After v1803, none of my remote computers/drives show up in File Explorer.  

I have "Shared" all of the drives "Right click, properties, Sharing" and they all show as "Shared" but none of them can be seen from the remote computers file explorer network.  in other words from computer "A" I can see all of the files/drives from "A", but not "B" or "C".  From computer "B" I can see all the drives from "B" but not "A" or "C", etc...

I have "Turn on network discovery" and "turn on file and printer sharing" checked for both "Private" and "Guest or Public".  But nothing shows up from remote computers.  

I did search the forums and found some older stuff prior to v1803 update, but it seems like v1803 has changed something that makes my task impossible.

Thanks for any help.

Todd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

I've actually had this issue pre-1803, and the one 1709 computer still on my LAN (which also still has Homegroup) behaves the same way.  It can only see itself.  That could be secondary to all the other machines now being 1803, however, and very well might be.

I suspect this is firewall related, but have not had the time to dig into it as I'm using USB drives on those occasions where I need to port stuff.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 grogsailor

grogsailor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

I was able to map the network drives so I can now share files among all the computers...just wish I could have used the old system which seemed to work fine...

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,981 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

I've submitted feedback through the Feedback Hub, including screen shots.  This does appear to be an issue that has shown up with Version 1803, and there was at least one piece of feedback on this before mine that notes Build 17134.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,981 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:38 AM

See this post, under the section "The Solution", posted this morning:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/643129/windows-pc-not-discoverable-on-network/page-2#entry4503240

All I had to do was to enable the noted service and, voila, the machines appeared on the network and I was able to access all folders that had been shared.

Would not have guessed that this service would be turned off.  The odd thing is that on my machine it was stopped and set to "Manual" while on another machine it was running and set to "Manual."  Why the difference in service state is a bit of a mystery, too.

#6 grogsailor

grogsailor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

Great info - worked like a champ, THANKS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users