Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Buying a new laptop for general usage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 carcinoGentleman

carcinoGentleman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

Hello! I am looking to buy a new laptop for personal usage.
My budget for the new laptop is under $500, and my main usage of it will be for playing video games (My cousins love to play "Five Nights At Freddy's" themed fan-made games on my laptop), drawing, and web browsing.
I intend to use Windows 10, as it is the easiest to find and I have had the best experience with it. I may use VLC Media Player for watching DVDs that I got for my birthday and for Christmas, and I will likely be using GIMP/MS Paint/Medibang Paint the most for non-web browser related activities.
I myself do not play games that much, but when I do, I play them with my cousins who really love the high quality games based off of the popular video game "Five Nights At Freddy's". I would like to be able to run "Undertale" and "Animal Jam" too, also for my cousins (I don't see them often, but I play the games myself sometimes). I play Minecraft, I am sorry.
I tend to only have around three or four programs (excluding Task Manager, Task Manager is often open in case I need to force close something) running at one time.
Yes, I have a tendency to store a slightly above average quantity of images and other files on it, but I plan to use USB drives and other methods of storage not directly on the computer.
No, I will not be overclocking it, as I am no professional and have no reason to.
I'm mainly looking at Amazon/Wal-Mart to buy from.
I'm only planning to use the laptop's monitor and possibly one external one, because I do sometimes want a larger screen.
I have peripherals such as Bluetooth and USB keyboards and mice that I may attach in order to either circumvent the shortcuts attached to the F# keys or have an easier time scrolling. (I am really, really used to mice with a nice scrolling button.) I want to run Windows 10.

I am upgrading because my previous laptop had a broken hinge and it was getting very annoying to handle. I could see the metal parts and wires, and I had to apply extra force to make it close properly.

I also have questions about Acer laptops in particular. I have heard that they have a lot of common problems and less than desirable customer service, can this be confirmed or denied?

Best regards,
- CGentleman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidmichaels

davidmichaels

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:08 AM

You can find many laptops in HP as per your budget, though you need to makeup your mind which specifications you need to go with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users