Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Click & Clean Extension Popup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pcusr

pcusr

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this? Can't find a way in settings at all. Chrome. Click and clean extension

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 28 May 2018 - 06:51 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:50 AM

Worth A Look.

More.

Louis

#3 Win7wiz

Win7wiz

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:59 PM

It's NOT CCLEANER. After you rid yourself of it, download the real CCleaner, which won't give you popups.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

It's NOT CCLEANER. After you rid yourself of it, download the real CCleaner, which won't give you popups.

Yes, that's a very important note.  Piriform's CCleaner and "Click&Clean" are in no way connected.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Crayon

Crayon

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

First, open the CCleaner window. Once you are there, click the Options icon residing in the left pane of the window and switch to Monitoring tab.  Then, from the right hand side of Monitoring tab, simply uncheck the following 2 options.

Enable system monitoring Enable active monitoring. Once you uncheck these options, a confirmation dialog box appears on your computer screen. Hit the Yes button.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

First, open the CCleaner window. Once you are there, click the Options icon residing in the left pane of the window and switch to Monitoring tab.  Then, from the right hand side of Monitoring tab, simply uncheck the following 2 options.

Enable system monitoring Enable active monitoring. Once you uncheck these options, a confirmation dialog box appears on your computer screen. Hit the Yes button.

As has already been noted, twice, based upon the screen shot presented by the original poster documenting the problem under discussion it has nothing to do with CCleaner.

This was clearly something triggered during web browsing hoping to lure the person seeing it into clicking on something they shouldn't be clicking on.  It's one of those "invitation to infection" kind of pop ups.  

As a general piece of advice, any pop up, and I mean any pop-up that comes from a source you don't recognize should be dismissed immediately (if the dialog has the "Red X" still try hitting Escape before hitting it).  If you can't dismiss it or get rid of it by closing one of your web browsing windows/tabs (and if you can get rid of it this way avoid that page in the future) then do a graceful system shutdown after saving any work you have open.   Just never click on any button or link that shows up in an unbidden and unrecognized dialog such as the one shown at the outset of this thread.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 pcusr

pcusr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:11 AM

Many thanks hamluis. It's as I feared:

2018_06_02_200212.jpg

It's a useful extension, Click and Clean. So I'll tolerate the popup.

Worth A Look.

More.

Louis

Edited by pcusr, 02 June 2018 - 05:23 AM.

#8 pcusr

pcusr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for your (alarming) reply. However, perhaps not so 'clearly something triggered during web browsing', if in fact it demonstrably wasn't. I've said what the associated extension was. I was hoping someone familiar with that particular extension might have known how to configure it better than I could. 

So many ones and zeros chewing up the power of the world, and so many of them redundant. I understand that we're most of us time poor for research or even reading in full.

As has already been noted, twice, based upon the screen shot presented by the original poster documenting the problem under discussion it has nothing to do with CCleaner.

This was clearly something triggered during web browsing hoping to lure the person seeing it into clicking on something they shouldn't be clicking on.  It's one of those "invitation to infection" kind of pop ups.  

As a general piece of advice, any pop up, and I mean any pop-up that comes from a source you don't recognize should be dismissed immediately (if the dialog has the "Red X" still try hitting Escape before hitting it).  If you can't dismiss it or get rid of it by closing one of your web browsing windows/tabs (and if you can get rid of it this way avoid that page in the future) then do a graceful system shutdown after saving any work you have open.   Just never click on any button or link that shows up in an unbidden and unrecognized dialog such as the one shown at the outset of this thread.

#9 pcusr

pcusr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:18 AM

I've already got CCleaner, which indeed doesn't yield popups. However, not relevant here.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

pcusr,

You are going back and forth and back and forth on this.  Your opening was, "Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this?"

If you want to keep it, then keep it. 

It is you, by using "CC cleaner," which is an easy enough accident to make, that triggered the confusion here.  If you have CCleaner there's really no reason to duplicate its functions, or part of them by use of an add-on, but that's your call.

At least take some responsibility for how what you've written has gotten you the responses it has.   It was not clear, at all, what you really wanted or thought you were dealing with. 

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 pcusr

pcusr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

I see what you mean now. I've written CCleaner in the subject. Didn't even see it!  Forest for trees.

Fortunately hamluis, first responder, noticed that in the body I wrote "Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this? Can't find a way in settings at all. Chrome. Click and clean extension". It was clear to him that I was hoping to receive advice on the getting rid of, of a Click and Clean Chrome extension. 

Thanks for clarifying that Click and Clean was the issue and not CCleaner. However if you had read either of the links hamluis posted you'd have seen it explained that the popup can't be got rid of without uninstalling the Click and Clean extension. I WAS hoping to get rid of the popup, but since that's not possible without uninstalling a the useful Click and Clean extension  and that was why I made the decision to retain it.  The popup DIDN'T get there  as "something triggered during web browsing hoping to lure the person seeing it into clicking on something they shouldn't be clicking on.  It's one of those "invitation to infection" kind of pop ups"

Not sure if post subject can be edited, but I'll endeavour to do that now.

pcusr,

You are going back and forth and back and forth on this.  Your opening was, "Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this?"

If you want to keep it, then keep it. 

It is you, by using "CC cleaner," which is an easy enough accident to make, that triggered the confusion here.  If you have CCleaner there's really no reason to duplicate its functions, or part of them by use of an add-on, but that's your call.

At least take some responsibility for how what you've written has gotten you the responses it has.   It was not clear, at all, what you really wanted or thought you were dealing with. 

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

pcusr,

You are not able to edit a topic title once it's "gone live," but as a member of the Moderator Team I can.

It makes absolute sense to do so to make the "carpet match the drapes" [content go with the title].  Done.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 pcusr

pcusr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 07:04 PM

:thumbsup2:

pcusr,

You are not able to edit a topic title once it's "gone live," but as a member of the Moderator Team I can.

It makes absolute sense to do so to make the "carpet match the drapes" [content go with the title].  Done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users