Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Set Up Second Monitor With Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Barbarino

Barbarino

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:32 PM

Hello All-

I have a laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5558 (Insp 15 5000 Series Intel ® 5558) 64bit x64 5th Gen Intel Core i7-5500 U

I would like to attach another monitor to it to be able to work with two screens.

The monitor I have is an older one, a Dell 1703FPs.

The laptop has:

HDMI port

two USB2 ports

one USB3 port

Network port (for ethernet cable)

media card reader

page 3 and 4 of the manual below shows you a picture of the side of my laptop

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15-5558-laptop_reference%20guide_en-us.pdf

The back of the free-standing monitor has a place to attach a VGA cable and a place to attach a DVI-D cable .

It is currently connected to a tower via a VGA cable, and additionally, a USB 2.0 Patch cable.

I am not currently using the tower, so I don't have a problem disconnecting the monitor.

The back of the monitor also has a place for the power cable, Audio-DC12V, and 2 USB2 ports.

Here is a description of the monitor

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-ultrasharp/specs/

Can I use this older monitor for this purpose?

If so, what type of cord do I need to purchase to connect this monitor to my laptop?

Can I use the VGA cord I already have with some sort of adapter on the end? If not, what type of new cord do I  need?

(I used a VGA cord with an adapter on the end for this tower.)

I see on websites HDMI to DVI-D cords. Is that what I need?

Some of them mention that they are bidirectional. Is that what I need?

Some of those cords do not have as many pins in their ends as there are holes in the computer end at the DVI-D port.

Does that make a difference?

Prices vary from $9 to $35.

Is there that much difference in quality?

Some of these cords come with converters in them.

Do I need a converter?

And here's the biggest question, because I am not cyber-knowledgeable at all,

After connecting the type of cord I need  between the laptop and the monitor, what are my next steps?

In very plainspeak, please.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Barbarino, 28 May 2018 - 07:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

Your best bet would probably be to go HDMI to DVI.  Here is a cable that should do the job.  You can change the length if you want longer or shorter, the price difference isn't that much.

After you connect the cord right click a black space on your desktop and select Display Settings.  From there you can make any changes you want.  If the monitors are not left / right correct you drag monitor 1 to the other side of monitor 2.

#3 allitexpert

allitexpert

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

First, you need to verify as DVI, VGA, HDMI, or Mini DisplayPort. 

if your monitor has a VGA connection, and so does your laptop, then use a VGA cable to connect the two. If HDMI, then use an HDMI cable to connect the monitor to the HDMI port on the laptop. The same applies to any port and cable you may have.

After you connect check Display Settings

Windows 8 and Windows 7
In Control panel, open the Appearance and Personalization option. This is only seen if you're viewing the applets in "Category" view (not the "Classic" or icon view).
Now choose Display and then Adjust resolution from the left.
Click or tap Identify or Detect to register the second monitor.

#4 Barbarino

Barbarino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

Thank you!
I purchased a DVI-D cable with an HDMI adapter for the laptop end an it worked out just fine.
Thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users