Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU won't boot on, no sign of power

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 a5tech

a5tech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

My HP Compaq dx2310 microtower isn't able to boot, it has no signs of receiving power.  no lights on the back/front, fan doesn't spin. I checked if the surge protector is giving power and tested it. It did. Same thing on the wall outlet, it still has power. There are no loose connections, so it must be the power supply is dead. How do i trouble shoot if the power supply is causing the problem or a different part of the cpu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

Hello a5tech,

You have more or less confirmed for yourself that it is the PSU that has failed but we can suggest a basic PSU test for you to do but only if you are confident enough to open up  the computer, post back and let us know and one of us will post the steps for you.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

have you unplugged the power cord, then tried turning it on, then plug the power cord back in, then turn it on again.

sounds stupid but sometimes they just need to be discharged all the way.

also does it have a master power switch on the power supply? you might have bumped it on accident.

#4 CoolBeeeze

CoolBeeeze

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:15 PM

I have no idea if this is a new computer maybe you just built it but you need to make sure that the PSU has the correct wattage. 500w should do. Hope I don't seem like I'm insulting your intelligence

Edited by CoolBeeeze, 30 May 2018 - 11:15 PM.

#5 a5tech

a5tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:59 PM

@CoolBreeze no, this is not built because its an HP COMPAQ DX2310 so i didn't build it of course, and it is pretty old

@CoolBreeze no, this is not built because its an HP COMPAQ DX2310 so i didn't build it of course, and it is pretty old

#6 Crayon

Crayon

• Banned
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:18 AM

If your computer won’t power on at all, ensure it’s plugged into a power outlet and that the power connector isn’t loose. If it’s a desktop PC, ensure the power switch on the back of its case—on the power supply—is set to the On position. If it still won’t power on at all, it’s possible you disconnected a power cable inside its case. If you haven’t been messing around inside the case, it’s possible the power supply is dead. In this case, you’ll have to get your computer’s hardware fixed 

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:22 AM

For anyone else that has tried to help a5tech out, you may want to check the thread here

Edit to correct typo.

Edited by PhillPower2, 31 May 2018 - 03:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users