Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Update Fail > Rollback failed, need restore help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DiverMike

DiverMike

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

System info: Dell Optiplex 760, 1Tb HDD

Got the update last week, computer rebooted multiple times, eventually said it must do a rollback.  No go, looping. I can get to login on both users, but very little there (no explorer, originally no desktop, no connection, no menu's etc).  Activated Administrator user, ran SFC and DISM, they both say all is good, ran wuauctl.exe /Online /updatenow.... no change.  Have to do everything from command line.  All my restore points (had 4  last month) are gone.  Copied Desktop from Win.old for one user, showed up then, but gone on reboot.  I found some  odd things but not sure how to proceed:

/boot is on C:, not much there (does Dell always make a C and D drive?)

Userfiles are on D: in Win.old (I believe that is the backup made before the update happened?)

Neither of the User logins were admin(?!, they both were before the update)

I activated and set a password on the default Administrator account, but it didn't create a normal desktop (only 3 icons, no start menu, no My computer, no settings access) doing everything from Command Prompt (elevated)

System originally shipped with Win 7, and I did the free Win 10 upgrade, don't know if the Dell recovery works...  If it worked, it would restore to Win 7 and lose all the data, then would need to do all the upgrades/updates to get it to Win 10.

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated, not sure how to move forward to the new version (copying from win.old), or roll it back (whch hasn't worked so far recovery.txt filesize is 0, but recoveryset1.wim is huge.  

I'm poking around but have exceeded my knowledge/scope (had to google to find keys to get to msconfig, elevated command prompt etc.)

Willing to try and learn, just not sure where to go from here.  I backed up my daughters d:\Users\win.old to a USB, so should have all critical data.

Edited by hamluis, 29 May 2018 - 04:24 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to W10 Spt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DiverMike

DiverMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

Also tried to start explorer.exe from the Task Manager as regular and Admin - "An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist", and then a continuation giving an address.

#3 DiverMike

DiverMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:04 PM

No powershell folder, so tried to get update from MS Store, which needed an update, that I couldn't get... so, downloaded the Win 10 media creation tool on this PC, create media for another PC, which is now in the middle of a Reset/Keep my files (after it said it couldn't on first boot from USB).... Hopefully everything backed up when I copied the Userfiles, 3 years of middle school homework (on desktop or documents I hope).

#4 DiverMike

DiverMike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

Reset worked.  It was able to pull the profile data from windows.old (reversed a few things, but I've sorted them out manually).  Had to re-install most programs, but the homework, pics and music are all there, daughter is happy.   :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users